Chinese-Forums

Nanjing University

roddy

Mine is ”processing”, but Im not sure if that’s anything certain...They contacted me just once in May, when I had to go for an interview. Silence after that. But I was in Nanjing till recently, so I went a few times to pester them in person about documents and stuff ;) I came to the office once around the CSC deadline and saw piles upon piles of those CSC applications having been sent in, there must have been hundreds! Absolutely crazy :shock:  @basa 

• 1 year later...

Hello! ? My name is Christina and I am thinking about studying in China (my goal is still to start in 2019 ?). Firstly, I wanna shortly tell you something about myself: I am from Austria, I am currently 18 years old (but I turn 19 this year though ?) and I am quite interested to the chinese culture and language. I already have been to China two times and i already know the atmosphere and daily life a bit. ^^ But anyway, now to my question: I think about studying in Nanjing at the Nanjing University (NJU). They offer quite many programms for international students and I thought it could be a good opportunity. ? So my question is: Do some of you study at the Nanjing University? How is the atmosphere there? The people and teachers are nice and helpful, understanding? To the building: there are so many photos on the internet but i don't excatly know how does it really look like! ? 

To the subjects: I heard i can study Medias there; is that true? I really wanna study that but I am not sure if I can study it at NJU. (I really hope so!)?

I also already have seen the programms for the international students on their website; i am also interested to advertising, radio & television science..but i don't really know the content, maybe someone knows! (some creative subjects are my interest ^^) 

To the scholarships: Do you have one? How can i get one? I know the university is probably really expensive ? 

And do the university have an acceptance limit when it comes to students range?

• Good question! 2

On 3/10/2019 at 12:01 PM, Christina.hu said:

The people and teachers are nice and helpful, understanding

Hi Christina, Everywhere I've been in China, having Chinese language skills has been invaluable in getting people to be nice, helpful, and understanding - both at universities and elsewhere.  Every little bit of Chinese you can learn before you go will be appreciated.  Despite having been to China many times, I'm still amazed at the lengths people go to help me. 

Hence, regardless of the university you choose, if you can build some spoken language skills beforehand, you'll find that this is time very well spent.  Some Chinese may be hesitant to speak English because they are concerned about their "bad English."  However, if you can open a conversation with a little Chinese (and say your Chinese isn't good), you'll find they open up readily (and you'll find their English is likely better than they realize). 

• Thanks 1

@Christina.hu, if your goal is to study in China then why not study Chinese in China?. If you just want to be in China, you might as well be learning the language. If your goal is to one day work in China, knowing the language will be almost essential. If your goal is to work in Austria within something specific, then you'd be better off studying at an Austrian (or German) programme.

You can either study a whole bachelor's in Chinese language studies, or you could choose to study a shorter period of time (2 years max I believe?) just taking courses.

Regarding scholarships, there are plenty of ways to get a scholarship for studying Chinese in China. I'm not as sure about getting it to study other programmes, especially for Europeans, but it should be possible I think.

@happy_hyaena Thank u for ur reply! I have one further question: Do you know if it is possible to take one or two years chinese language courses and study bachelor in chinese language? Or is it too hard? I really wanna study in china but actually i am afraid my chinese will be too bad for the bachelor after just one or two years

maybe someone has experience ?

On 3/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Christina.hu said:

Thank u for ur reply! I have one further question: Do you know if it is possible to take one or two years chinese language courses and study bachelor in chinese language? Or is it too hard? I really wanna study in china but actually i am afraid my chinese will be too bad for the bachelor after just one or two years

maybe someone has experience ?

Yup. I believe it is dependent on that you have 1) a high school diploma 2) the HSK credentials. If you prepare now and get yourself to HSK 2 level maybe, and then spend 2 years in China you could definitely be at HSK 6 level and ready to then do a bachelor in China.

2 years = 4 semesters = 4 levels. When I was at Nanda there were 8 levels, 初上,初下,中上,中下,高上,高下,文化1,文化2。If you can get yourself to a level where you could immediately skip to 初下, and then work yourself up to 高上 at the end of it you should be quite proficient. 高下 people are basically at HSK 6, and 文化版 was filled with long-term students who were taking it alongside their other studies, like my Central European friend who was doing a masters in law there, or my Central Asian friend who was doing her PhD.

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...