Chinese-Forums

Fudan University

roddy

Sorry I haven't logged on a really long time.

@jobm Graduate students don't have to take exams, just the application.

@ChenZH I'm sorry I can't help with the Alipay, but registration isn't too difficult. You need to find the address for your local police station. Bring your passport and they will fill out the forms for you. When did you get moved in? Usually they want you to register within 24 hours or you have to pay a fine, but if you play stupid and say you didn't know they most likely will let it slide.

If you have WeChat you can add me. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll send you a message.

• Like 1

As for Alipay, you need to set up online banking with your account to connect your Chinese account with Alipay. Otherwise it won't work. I have set up Alipay and it works nicely. The only other way I can think of you can use to pay your bills with is with WeChat Wallet, but you once again need your online banking to be set up for it to work. 

• Like 1

@Chris Two Times

Studying at Fudan has been quite an experience. Coming in with almost zero Chinese, it was quite difficult for me for the school's international sector does not really have a full english speaking staff. The few they do, they are only available during the 9-5 hours and its just one. So if you're lucky, she's there or not. Sometimes they have students at the desk to help translate, but she's not always there. 

As for actually studying, it was nice in the beginning, but the way they teach is the Chinese style, which gets quite boring after some time. Unfortunately the teachers I had my first semester were not that good for they mostly put students who are graduates at Fudan as the basic level teachers and many times, people would ask questions in class, and they had no way of answering because they would not understand. But as you study and move up within the levels, the teachers are much better due to many of the teachers teaching the higher level Chinese courses have more experience. 

But regardless of the circumstances I have gone through, it has been nice studying at Fudan. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take any elective courses because they mentioned that taking the elective courses is "a different program" and the language program is a "fully loaded program". So taking both the electives and language is impossible unless you go through a university from another country or a 3rd party study abroad program. But if you do that, then it costs a lot more. 

They do have one or two extra courses you can take, but I would have to be in the advanced level Chinese class to eligible to take the courses.

• Like 2

Nnedi Ugo,

Many thanks for that write-up! I am focusing on Beijing at the moment, but I have gotten curious about life and study in Shanghai and have been considering making a move in the next year or two to SH. Write-ups such as yours are very helpful for us considering Fudan. Best of luck in your time at Fudan and in Shanghai!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Thank you 洋人丹 and Nnedi Ugo for your replies.

I tried registering for Alipay, however there is no longer an option to choose passport for identification. I read somewhere that you can pay the utilities bills at the convenience stores. Will try that one out.

Thanks!

@ChenZH

I recently signed up with Alipay and there is a way to do it with your passport still. If you have a smart phone and download the Alipay app, you can change it to english. While you are signing up you can change the type of id and you should change it to the second option 护照. From there, you can put in your passport number.

@Chris Two Times

I haven't been to Beijing, but there's a lot to do in Shanghai. I will only be here for a year, but I haven't even covered 1/4th of what can be done. Maybe you can look into it and if you are looking to studying at Fudan, possibly look into the Chinese Govt Scholarship.

• Like 1

Fudan have intensive language courses. Depending on your level depends on what classes you will take. Classes are everyday ranging from 8am to no later 4:05pm. Every week, we have total around 20hours of classes. You can't choose your schedule, but you can change to a different schedule if there are other classes in the same level with a valid excuse.

Classes start from beginner A to advanced J. We use the Beijing standard books, which can be innacurate at times so beware. The books can be bought at the beginning of the semester.

Depending on the teacher, they speed through the material so you learn a lot in a short amont of time. We have classes from writing, to reading, speaking, extended reading, listening, and grammar.

Halfway through the semester, you take a midterm. And from there, you go up a level. If you pass your exams with 90+ in all classes, you have the opportunity to skip a level. If you feel you need more time in a particular class, you can request to go down a level. If you fail or miss your exams, you can still move up for they don't care so much. You already paid. It's all on you to work hard.

Its too late to join now, but you can apply before the school starts in September. If you can, apply for the Chinese Govt Scholarship so you don't have to pay.

• Like 1

It is, but if I am not mistaken, once you get to I, there's no more writing class. At Fudan, they spend the least amount of time on Writing (class is only once a week) but they still require students to write for its required when we take our exams.

Check out this website to see more information on the Chinese Language Program.

http://iso.fudan.edu.cn/downloads/ices_yy20151029.pdf

• Like 1

If you are at an advanced level I would actually recommend skipping the language classes altogether. I was placed in H, where I learned some new things and got some practice, but I improved exponentially when I got out of the language classes and took their "Economics and Business For Foreigners" stream. There is a Literature and History version which I imagine is more focused on language and culture, but these two streams are completely different enrollment prices. If you're already in the H-J range before going to China, just skip the language classes and head to actually taking courses instructed in Chinese.

• Like 3

Wow, Thank you 陈德聪。 I just need to earn some credits of classical Chinese in order to be qualified to a master's program I want to apply but I do not know where I should go to earn that. I would just like to know if you have any information or review on Fudan's 中国文化与社会专业 (non-degree) or even to the non-degree programs of Fudan. :)

Were you also in a scholarship? 

I was not on scholarship. I went as an exchange student and had to fight with administrators to escape the language classes (it was that bad). I don't have any info on the culture and society one but if you're looking for something that you can transfer, I would warn that unless your home uni is very flexible with transfer credits, Fudan is not really very helpful at providing the necessary documents. They don't have any syllabus or course outline for the non-degree programs as the instructors are usually just random profs who like to teach foreigners and the material may vary from semester to semester :/ If you need credits, you might be better off trying to find another language program that is more developed and see if you can take courses there.

• Like 1