Chinese-Forums

Dalian University of Technology

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of Dalian University of Technology. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with Dalian University of Technology goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/19968-dalian-university-of-technology/ (2009)

• 6 years later...

I would really like to hear from people who have studied Chinese at DUT and their thoughts about it, here mainly the quality of the teaching and whether you felt it suited your needs and how well you progressed. I am currently living and studying at a private school in Beijing, but have decided I want to move to somewhere less crowded after New Year, and now my choice have fallen on DaLian. At first my plan was to find a private school, but after being in contact with a few it seems that in DaLian the private schools cannot help students with study visas. So now I have to choose one of the universities.

My actual "main"-topic that I first posted can be seen here: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/42220-looking-at-moving-to-dalian-but-seems-private-school-is-not-an-option-anymore/

• 10 months later...

I did. I had originally paid for two semesters, but got them to refund the second semester and went back home. I just returned to Denmark a few days ago. Although I was highly motivated before coming to DLUT and also had been studying at a school in Beijing for 4-5 months I found my motivation dropping rapidly while studying there, and it was the same story for many of my fellow students. I felt I was wasting both my time and money there and realized that I would progress faster by studying on my own back home, that's how bad it was. Like I mentioned, I will write a review later on and explain in details why studying Chinese at DLUT is a very bad decision.

• Like 1

Oh no, I am so sad to hear it from you that it turned out that way. I will be going with a one-year scholarship which means I have no other choice but to make the best out of my experience in DLUT. I am really hoping and praying that my studies in China and in DLUT would really help me in developing my Chinese. 

I thought DLUT is a good school based from what I have read from reviews. 

DLUT is right next door to DMU.  I can't speak to the quality of education there, but it is a pretty nice looking campus and they boast about their statue of Confucius which survived the cultural revolution, I guess.

I taught English classes briefly there when I attended DMU.

There used to be a burger shop right near the KFC there which was awesome (this was 2010).  And Dalian is a fantastic city to study and live in.  Don't be depressed about it, I'm sure it'll be nice enough!

I have no idea about DUT, though I did live in Dalian for 13.5 months.

All I can say is that, if the teaching quality is really bad, you can still get a lot out of being in China. Many people on this forum are self-taught, some even never having been to China. So get a good grammar book, and try to make some language exchange partner friends when you are there and you should still be able to make progress.

I'm sorry to hear about Skunq's experience, but I don't understand how self-studying back at home could be faster than studying in Dalian. Even if you self-study 100%, surely being in China is more productive than being in Denmark... :shrug:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

Hello everyone ! Ni Hao !

My name is Ozan, from Turkey. I want to study in China . And DUT is my first choice. But I have question. Normally I am a mechanical enginnering student in Turkey. My departmant's educational language is English. İf I will be accepted same course in DUT, will I start a beginning? or university can accept some same courses which are already taken by me?

Xiexie
Thank you everythinks

It is me- JOBM. 

I am now studying here in DUT and I can say that is a very good university. My Chinese really improved a lot and I am very happy on how skilled and encouraging my teachers are. DUT is one of the top 20 universities in China and if a local studies here, they will think that guy is a xueba HAHAHA

@ozankaragoz I think you would start again. You could ask the university :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello Guys! I'm planning to study Chinese for a year in DUT, but I'm not sure, there is not too much information about accommodations for international students, or facilities, or if it good or bad in education. Could anyone share your experiences?

Hello, @Mariela11 and @earthojess.

I have studied in Dalian in 2014. It was a very good experience and I will never forget it. Dalian is a very modern city, sometimes, you won't feel you are in China. It is very clean and has blue skies almost all year round. The winter is tolerable unless it winds, since it is a coastal city and the wind really blows hard.

Regarding the accomodation of foreign students, most foreign students stay in the dormitory but a few stay to the school's hotel including me. Both has its drawbacks, but I think staying in the dormitory is better since they had 24-hour supply of hot water during winter, we did not. We did not have a strict curfew though and sometimes we can invite our friends anytime without having them registered at the reception :P Both of these accomodations have their own kitchen, washing machine, and most students stay with a roommate. The hotel though is very near to like banks, restaurants, convenient store, etc. though.

In terms of education, most of us, I think, are very contented with our teachers in DUT. Of course, just like anywhere in China, you could get good and bad teachers, but since DUT is considered the most prestigious university in Dalian, they have one of the best teachers in the city. Liaoning Normal University and DUFL are also good universities in the city when it comes to teaching Chinese, though. It really depends on the person how he/she will really study hard to learn Chinese, but by the time our classes were over, we were able to have a good command of Chinese. (My levels were intermediate II and advanced I in that academic year). Each level has different sets of classes and how long will each classes will be, but generally, they have classes for all writing, listening, speaking, and reading, and one general course. They also have elective courses like Wushu, Taichi, Chinese painting, Chinese calligraphy, etc. The university also has some extra-curricular events for exchange students like speech contests, cultural festival, sportsfest, etc. :)