Chinese-Forums

Tianjin Foreign Studies University

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of Tianjin Foreign Studies University. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with Tianjin Foreign Studies University goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I am not a student here but I've been on this campus and the school is not very large, I wasn't very impressed. But this is in comparison to Nankai and Tianjin University, the two biggest universities in Tianjin. 

Thanks for your opinion, maybe you know something about students? Is there a lot of foreigners or most of them are Chinese? I will study there (firstly I will take Chinese language course) and I'm afraid that I won't make new friends because of language barrier. 

I'm afraid that I won't make new friends because of language barrier.

Shixun, this may ease your concerns regarding making new friends in the area.

Your results may be different than mine, but I've done this twice now, and it's worked both times for me. First I thought was going to go to Beijing to study, so I looked for language exchange partners in Beijing. After meeting several, and spending time with them on-line to practice their English (and some of my Chinese), I realized I had become friends with them. It was a cool feeling to realize that I had friends in Beijing, before I ever went there.

Then my plans changed (prior to ever actually going to Beijing), and Harbin became the city I wanted to travel to. So, I started over...and again...looked for language exchange partners. I had even greater success this time, and got to know one of my language exchange partners quite well. We're best of friends now. I've not yet gone to Harbin, but it's pretty cool knowing that once I go, I'll already have a friend there.

I've found language exchange partners on couchsurfing.org, as well as on these sites:

mylanguageexchange.com

conversationexchange.com

languageforexchange.com

italki.com

sharedtalk.com

polyglotclub.com

Some of these sites are free, and others charge. Some have a better search engine than others.

Anyone reading several of my posts, might think I thought that finding a language exchange partner is the answer to everything. lol

But everyone, I guess, approaches challenges and obstacles differently...and I guess I've just had such great success with this, that sure...I tend to recommend it quite often. The beauty of this approach, is that contrary to my first impression, you really don't have to speak any Chinese at all for this method to work. Because most of the people I've met have pretty good English already - they just want to practice their listening comprehension (i.e., so they just want to hear you talk, so they can practice listening.) But then, some also want to practice speaking too. Which is fine. Some are not yet comfortable enough to get on Skype with you...because they may not trust their listening skills yet. They may, instead, want to talk with you on wechat...where they say something...and it's recorded as a voice message and sent to you...and then you can listen, and respond. The thing they like about this, is that they can listen to your English response as many times as they need to, in order to understand what you said. Then, after they get used to your voice, and they grow accustomed to the rhythm, and cadence of your speech...they may feel comfortable switching to Skype.

If you are learning Chinese, this helps you make friends with someone with whom you're not afraid of making a fool of yourself...by saying the wrong thing. You feel safe, knowing that they're not going to make fun of you. Also, if you say the wrong thing, they won't be offended...seeing as how they know you're learning...but instead they'll correct you and help you. And at the same time, it helps you realize that you have friends in the area...which can greatly ease your frame of mind!

I guess what I'm recommending, is if you have time, before classes begin, try and find a language exchange partner from this same area. If you do, it may make it easier also to make friends on campus. You may even find a student, who goes to this same school!

Either way, all the best!

Edit: I logged onto mylanguageexchange.com and did a search for you:

http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/Search.asp?selX3=12&selX6=1&selCountry=21&txtCity=Tianjin&txtAgeMin=&txtAgeMax=&selSex=null&selIsClass=null&selX4=null&selTxtChat=null&selX13=null&selFace=null&txtFName=&txtDesc=&selOrder=LastLogInDate+DESC%2C+ProfileDate+DESC%2C+AddDate+DESC&Cnt=3

@Shixun

I went to this school during the Summer to accompany a Chinese friend who wanted to check the school out because they wanted to do their masters in Russian in this school. I did see a couple foreigners on campus when I walked in, but I am sure you won't have any trouble making friends, there will be a lot of Chinese students willing to practice their English with you and help you with your Chinese too. One good thing I can stay about this university is that it is in a part of the city with many beautiful buildings and architecture. Hopefully everything goes well, keep us updated. Unfortunately I don't have any friends from this school so I can't give you a first hand account of what going to school here is like. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

I have another type of question. my friend studies at this university right now and he lives at the International residence or whatever it's called. And I know the room he lives in. How can call him? Is there some kind of extension or something?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...