Chinese-Forums

Tianjin University

roddy

• 5 months later...

Is there a website where I can see the architecture modules/classes that Tianjin offers to exchange students? And also how do i tell if a certain module is for meant for a certain year of study? for example modules meant for year 4 architecture students.

Also, which dorm do exchange students usually stay in? 

• 3 months later...

I won't be enrolled in the Chinese classes next Fall, but I will still be here. I have been enrolled in the Chinese classes here for three semesters, so I have plenty of experience, feel free to post any questions that you may have on here. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

No problem. 

1. Classes are not too bad. There are two classes a day, one from 8:30 to 10:05 and the other from 10:25 to 12:00. If you're in the beginner class you should only have three different types of classes, those being listening, speaking, and grammar/writing class, if you're in a more advanced class then you will also have reading thrown into the mix. Those classes will be split throughout the week, so maybe on Monday you have grammar and listening class and on Tuesday you have speaking and reading. I didn't have any problems with any of the classes and most of the teachers are nice, though some are pretty boring, haha. 
  2. There's a lot of foreign students, most of them coming from countries that are near China. The bulk of the students in the self-paid dormitory will be South Koreans, you will also have a lot of people from Thailand, Indonesia, a few North Koreans,  and Russians. At least from my experience these were the large majority of the countries the foreign students learning Chinese came from. You also have a lot of Africans/Arabs/Indians in the scholarship dorms whom are usually doing their bachelors or masters.
  3. Students from North America and Western Europe tend to be much fewer, though you will run into a couple every semester. The majority students whom I had class with didn't have a strong enough grasp of English to speak with me so we always defaulted to speaking in Chinese which worked out good for me. I think in the beginner class English might be used as an intermediate to teach at first so maybe the beginner classes might have more English speakers. 
  4. As for what you should bring from home, that depends on you and where you are from and what kind of things you need. Some things are easier than others to find in China. If you want to do some cooking it might be good to buy some pots and pans and a stovetop burner to do some cooking on the side. If you will be living in the self-paid dorms in YouYuan you will be much more comfortable than the scholarship dorms. 

Hope I could help out. Good luck rob.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@dione

Where are you going to stay? Are you going to the self-paid dormitory (YouYuan) or the scholarship dormitory (LiuYuan)? 

If you're looking for the number to YouYuan I might have it somewhere and can look for it. But be aware that the women working there can't speak any English. I don't think they have any email either, the way things run here are a bit old-fashioned. When are you planning on coming to Tianjin University? I think it might start getting hard to get accommodation toward the end of August. Right now there is no one in the dorms, but as the fall semester starts it might be hard to get a room. 

Let me know where you are planning on staying and i'll let you know if there is someway I can help since I live on campus. 

@kanjiology

Thanks so much for the reply! Really appreciate it. I think we should be staying in you-yuan. Me and my friend arrive in Tianjin 25th Aug. It would be really great if you can somehow help us with whatever you can because we are really worried we would not be able to get a room because I think it's definitely more expensive off campus.

No problem. If you're going to stay here in Tianjin for a short while and are just going to study Chinese it might not be a bad idea just to get a dorm in YouYuan. YouYuan is a very nice and clean place, I lived pretty comfortably when I lived there. 

If you want, you can PM me your Chinese name and nationality and I can ask if there is some kind of way to apply in advance for a room since I am familiar with some of the staff at YouYuan. The way I did it was by calling by phone two weeks in advance and bugging them a couple times until they reserved a room for me. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello everybody!
I have been selected as CSC SCHOLARSHIP member. I would be grateful if you answer me one question. I got the documents from embassy and unfortunatelly the whole process was dealed as a result of several problem in their office. In my docs it is written that I have to register before 5th September. Unfortunatelly I will not be able to come on time. Do you know, if there is a possibility of coming later (for instance 1 week later) and to keep the scholarship without problems?
Respectfully,

Wotek from Poland

Hello Wotek,

Congrats on getting the scholarship. I think you shouldn't have a big problem as long as you tell the office in advance that you are going to come late, keep in mind; the office is closed until August 28th, I went and checked myself today. 

You can find their contact information on their poorly made site: http://www.ietju.com/

Yup, I got the scholarship last year, I've been here for 1.5 years, did the language course for a year and now am gonna start my masters course in September. If you have any questions about the contents of the courses here you can check my previous posts or feel free to ask if you have a question I didn't answer. I am not sure when the language courses start, but probably around the first week of September. One thing I haven't gotten used to here at Tianjin University is how disorganized everything is, you have to use word of mouth or go to the office bulletin board to find announcements. Wish you well on your travels, I had a classmate from Poland last year, her Chinese was awesome. 

• 1 month later...
Juliette (法珠雷)

I went there for a little more than a month to attend the summer program and I think it's a pretty great place to live and study. The campus is very pleasant and quiet. I was in the most advanced class and I found I've quickly made (some) progress.

I only think it's a shame foreign students are so cut off from Chinese students, but I guess that goes for every university.

BTW, I can't start a new topic in this section and I am looking for recommandations for summer courses. Which university do you think does best in that field ?

Kanjiology,

Many thanks for your write-ups about TJU. I am currently working in Beijing and wish to study Chinese full-time for one year in 2015-2016. I am currently looking at various university programs in China. Based on your write-ups, TJU looks decent. Maybe I will apply to TJU in the spring!

Good luck in your studies!

Chris Two Times

• Like 3