Chinese-Forums

Tianjin University

roddy

Kanjiology,

A few things you mentioned that I would try to emulate were I to study full-time for a year in a Chinese language program at a Chinese university:

1) taking myself out of an expat bubble and minimizing my use of English

2) not spending a lot of money on personal expenses per month (1,500~2,000 could do it)

I also like it that TJU has several levels--I am hoping to be in an advanced track by fall of 2015 (fingers crossed).

Good to hear that this can be done at TJU and in Tianjin. Thank you again for providing the model.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I am a scholarship recipient from Jamaica who was accepted to do a Masters in Chemical Engineering and Technology. My admission letter said that I should register at the dorm during the September 14 -15 period. Would it be ok for me to arrive at the dorm before then?

Also does anyone know when classes would start? Is there a calendar available for the masters programs?

• 11 months later...

Hello! First of all, I just want to say thank you to Kanjiology for being so nice and patient to explain us everything about TJU. Specially doing it for free haha

Anyway, I am a Mozambican student. I have been awarded with the CSC scholarship and I chose TJU as my first option. After reading the conversation in the forum, I found out that I'll be staying at Liu Yuan dormitories. My biggest concern about the dorm is WiFi. Is there any WiFi at all? Will I have to pay for it?

Other concern I haveis finding other international students, speacially English speakers. Will I find any? I hardly speak Mandarin, so I am not sure if I will get along right at first with my peers. Will there be a freezer in the kitchen? And how is the kitchen btw? I saw some pictures of the university and they all kind of left me disappointed. They seem very old, which I hope is not the case

Enio,

I actually have two classmates from Mozambique. Whether you stay on the New Campus or the Old Campus there will be WiFi available. I live on the New Campus and we currently have to pay for data in excess of 5Gb ( the first 5Gb is free). They currently charge us 2 yuan for each additional Gb. These rates might change in the future as they have changed in the year I've been here. The internet data is prepaid.

There are many international students here, most of them doing their first year of Chinese language study. They will leave before the new semester begins and I assume a new batch will come in. Aside from those students there are still lots internationals here studying who speak English. I don't think you will have a problem finding them. The new campus kitchens are not yet ready but they are working on it. This was the first year for students to be accommodated on the New campus. I am not sure about the old campus' kitchens. I have a fridge in my room, they are relatively cheap.

And yes some of the rooms in the Old Campus are a little old there are also some good looking ones.

Dear Alwyn,

Thank you so much for replying to my enquiry and clarifying all my questions. I am so glad to see that there are other people from my country there.

About the kitchen situation, I have asked the university people about it and they told me that they have a kitchen ready for me to use but advised me to have my own kitchen supplies. My biggest fear is sharing a freezer. I just have this feeling that my food will be stolen and I'll have to sleep by the freezer every night so I can keep it safe lol #jk. So, when I arrive, I'll definitely buy my own supplies, seen that the university recommends it.

Seen that I am scholar from CSC, I am pretty sure that I'll end up the Liu Yuan dormitories. But, just to be safe, do you think that there is a way for me to get a room at the You Yuan dorms? That would be awesome. And are the buildings separate for boys and girls or just the floors? I really hope I don't find any latrines there lol.

I hope I'm not appearing to be a spoiled brat or anything. It's just that I am very concerned because CSC has not given us (the scholars) any info about the scholarship. They are actually making us pay for the visas by ourselves and they don't even tell us about the departure date. It's all happening so quick. It's kinda frightening.

Best regards!

Enio,

I know how you feel, it was frightening for me as well. I didn't get my scholarship information until late August. I had about 2 days to decide how I would rearrange my life. You will be fine. 

The You Yuan dorms are pretty good. I spent my first night there. The international dorms have western toilets so no need to worry lol.

I think they designate each floor for boys and girls. There might be some out of place though. You might be able to get one of those dorms if you arrive early enough. They would probably ask you to pay something (You Yuan students are usually self supporting). Maybe you could email the international office about it. I am not sure if its possible.

The rooms in the New campus are good though, if you end up here. It is a bit far from the town though.

Hi Alwyn!

Once again, thank you so much for responding on time to my enquiries. It's very polite of you to help us getting to know a bit more of TJU, specially seen that you're s student there.

I was told that there will be a meeting with all of the CGS scholars soon. I hope they advise us on everything we need to know and tell us our departure date. To be jonest, I didn't expect Chinese people to be this deorganized (not meaning to be racist or anything).

I have contacted TJU and they told me that I must be on their prrmises by September 06 in order to register myself there, and the Chinese lessons will start on September 21. So, I have about four weeks to say goodbye to everyone and everything here. They also told me that since I am a CSC scholar, I will stay at the Liu Yuan dorms (because they're cheaper lol), although I wish I could stay at the New Campus, mostly because of the wonderful aspects you mentioned.

I read here in the forum that the WiFi in China is kinda slow. I just hope it's fast enough for me to use my social networks and download lots of stuff. That's actually no surprise for me cause I've been in China a year ago (Guangzhou) and the internet there really annoyed me. I couldn't even use whatsapp.

Nevertheless, I can't wait to be in Tianjin and start loving it. I really hope I can meet you when I arrive at TJU so you can make me a guided tour throughout the campus and introduce me to your Mozambican colleagues, if you ever find some free time for such activity. I already have a Chinese phone number. I'll give it to you on private message, so we can get easier communication, if that's okay with you.

Maybe one day I'll be the one answering the questions of other curious future students here in this forum.

Kind regards!

• 10 months later...

LanceGonza

The most expensive rooms for bachelor students in TJU cost 40RMB per day, which are 1200RMB monthly. That will leave you with other 1200RMB to get around. Depending on your lifestyle, living under that budget and paying for rent can be enough. I know students who survive with less. But, you must be aware that you will not be able of spending a lot of money on unnecessary stuff, otherwise you'll quickly be out of money. Upon your arrival, you'll need of course more money to settle down. After that, 1200RMB can be enough for daily meals at the dining hall (or even prepare your own meals, in case you know how to) and also to buy hygiene supplies. I hope this post helps you. Kind regards!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe its been a couple years since I first wrote about Tianjin University. I'm back in the good ol' USA now. I was curious if the current students are now going to the main campus 北洋 since the departure to the new campus, it seems they still are. I sometimes miss the Tianjin life, good luck to all you new students.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi, where are all the great guys on this thread? Please Alwyn, are u still in Tianjin? 2016 seems to be centuries ago. i just sent my application documents to TJU for csc application through the chinese universities. I applied for an Architecture Major in English. I really wish i could get someone over there who could give me first hand information as regards TJU. Anyone please....... 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello soylomass. It’s nice that you’ve applied for a scholarship in the university. In case you wanted to know if there’s someone studying here, because I didn’t understand your question, I am studying here. Been here since September 2016. I met a guy who was studying Chinese sponsored by Confucius Scholarship last year, so I know some stuff in case you have questions.

• Like 1

@jude zamidid you applied CGS university program? May I know have you ever got an email from them them to tell that you accepted being their student? My CSC status portal already in progress, but they never sent me anything until now, I asked them via email, they even reply me? How about you?