Chinese-Forums

Tianjin University

roddy

@KanjiologyHello kan, Would you like to give me some advice about my condition? I applied CGS for TJU this year, my status in CSC portal already in progress but until now, I never ever get any email from university, I dont know what I must to do, I sent email to them but there is no anwser at all. how about you in the year you passed? 

@desika I applied while living and taking classes at Tianjin University, so I just went to the office and bothered them if I ever had an issue. They are quite slow when I was there. I am no longer living in China, but if you can get someone to ask for you who is there now, that could speed things along. Or if you could get a contact number, you can call them directly, they usually have someone who speaks English answer the phone. 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, not really expecting much reply but hopeful that soenone will reply.

I'm starting my journey abt TJU soon this fall under the CSC scholarship so my questions will be related to this.

1. Are the language classes for HSK (as in the ones they put you in to meet a HSK requirement for your undergraduate degree/masters) different than the normal Chinese Lessons? Last semester, I was at NJU self-funded and my lessons were 8-11, Mon-Thurs but I had a friend who was going to uni after her one-year preparatory language course and her lessons were much more intensive and ran through evenings etc I'm wondering if TJU will be the same, if anyone has experienced this

2. Experience in doing a Masters course in Chinese. I'm going to be doing Applied Psychology in Chinese after my preparatory language course and I'm a little worried. I know that I'll struggle in the first year to adjust but I'm wondering if it gets easier the following years, and if first year marks will account to much to the final marks in your final year (personal experiences welcomed) ? I'm used to the British marking system up until their Uni level (although I am aware the Chinese might have different marking systems, this is why I'm asking haha)

3. Dorm/Accomodation: upon reading this thread and calling to confirm, CSC scholars will defo be in Liuyuan but from my understanding, the dorm is a bit far from the East Entrance gate? Do people just lug their luggage to the dorms or can they get a taxi straight to Liuyuan?

3.a. do CSC scholars have to pay deposit for accommodation as well?

4. I read on this thread that in 2007/2008 the registration is 5/6 september, and classes starts 21st so that's a few weeks difference. Is that still the case or do classes start shortly after registration now?

5. Term times. not sure if it's the same every year but does TJU have winter holidays (December-??) and when do they usually start?

any replies are welcomed no matter when you had attended! just trying to get a general idea of people's experiences and such!

Hi, sk1ng! I’ll try to reply to as many of your inquiries as I can.

1. I am a CSC scholar myself and during language year, our classes went from from 8:30am to 5pm Mon-Fri to all masters, phd and bachelor.

2. That is something you can only know through your department, as it is different from university to university and department to department. Since you’ll be studying Applied Psychology, it definitely won’t be at TJU, so you it’s much better if you find people on your uni you can talk to. In my department in TJU, there is a required amount of credits you’re supposed to acquire every semester. If you fail to acquire such amount, you simply have to retake the course and pass the final exam.

3. CSC scholars are put inside the dorms sharing a room (two per room). Now there are three dorms for international students in the school, two of which (Buildings 50 and 51) are very close to the Main Gate (or East Gate) and there’s also LiuYuan, which is closer to the West Gate. You can get a taxi from the airport or train station straight to the dorm, as long as you have the address or a location you can show the driver.

3.1 All students, CSC or not, are required to pay a 100RMB deposit at the dorm. If you don’t have it right away, you can pay later.

4. The dorm registration this year began on August 20th. I’m not sure about the classes though, but they usually start a few weeks after that.

5. All Chinese universities have Winter and Summer holidays. In TJU, winter holidays begin in early January and Summer holidays in early July.

I hope I’ve made everything clear with this message. Feel free to ask for more info

Thank you @Enio for your replies! I know it's a little weird but I think Applied Psychology might be a new course under TJU and in Chinese (in my offer letter it says that my course is at TJU)

Out of curiousity; which dorm block/district are you put in? I read somewhere if you come early you can get the Liuyuan rooms with the private bathroom (for two), is this true? 

Secondly, regarding the placement tests, is it still the same format that Kanjiology has said? Speaking with a teacher and then a mock HSK5 test?

Anyway, please accept my sincerest thanks for the replies! Hopefully one day I'll be the one answering the questions like you all have, keeping this thread alive!

Hi, sk1ng!

Well, I didn’t know such course was available at TJU actually. It will be a good thing you’ll be staying at the uni then.

I live in the new campus of TJU, where there’s a LiuYuan (single rooms for everyone regardless of scholarship) and the Carla Hotel (double rooms). I strongly advise you to come early so you can get the best room you can find and so you can change your roommate, in case you’re not comfortable with the one they give you. You can always change rooms and dorms if you ask the teachers, as long as you give them a good reason.

I’m not sure about HSK as I was not required to do one in order to continue with my studies.

You are very welcome. I luckily found this forum before going to TJU and it helped me a lot. That’s the reason I’m here today helping others as well.