Chinese-Forums

University of International Business and Economics

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) in Beijing. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with University of International Business and Economics goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

• 6 years later...

Hi Allansy8 did you manage to enroll into UIBE eventually?

I am also interested in taking up the Business Mandarin course there. I do already have my mandarin basics and speak fairly well.  Mind sharing your experience with us in UIBE? i.e. quality of teachers, course materials, class environment etc. 

Hope to hear from you soon. 

I did. I am currently taking up Intensive Chinese Program in UIBE for 1 semester only. There are many levels they can assign you but they assigned me in level 1 (level 0 is no mandarin at all). For the registration days, it was fairly easy because students who can speak English had volunteered during those days to assist us. What I found hard was with the school dormitory, their staffs do not speak English at all.

I can say that my teachers are good. In just 2 months of studying, I improved a lot. And I see improvement every week whenever I meet with my Chinese friend and chat with her. When I first came in here I had a hard time talking to Chinese people but now I understand them at least. My problem now is because they speak too fast and sometimes with a different accent, these things give me a hard time. I am fortunate because in my class I am the only Filipino and I am not exposed to my mother tongue. The teachers also can speak English but they try to explain everything in Chinese which is good. For the course materials, we started from lesson 5 with 1 lesson each day, quite fast but that was what I signed up for.

We are only 9 in the class, and the other intensive class have 13 students. I think with this they can focus more on each student. Also after every comprehensive class, there is a practice/review class that gets your class divided into 2 groups to practice and review what you had just learned. We also have speaking and listening class. The listening class, you just glue yourself to a headphone and listen to the recording. For Speaking class, I think this is a little the same with the comprehensive class. All our books are published by BLCU. 

UIBE has arranged a school outing every end of month. Last month was Great wall, this month was Summer Palace. We still have 2 more but it can get full very quickly. Living outside the school is no advantage because you get to hear it last. 

If you have any more questions, feel free. 

• Like 3

Hi Allansy8,

Thanks for your prompt reply!  :mrgreen:

Wow intensive classes! How many hours of studies in a week? Good to hear that you have improved alot!  

Btw, I noticed there is a Elementary Chinese course as well. Do you know anything about it? Issit really an elementary level or they are divided into different levels like your Intensive Course? And, will there be a placement test to determine our level of mandarin before class allocation. 

Also for the Business Course, do you have any light on the syllabus? Would it be purely teaching on business technical terms? 

My aim is actually to elevate my mandarin from intermediate level to advance with some coverage of business mandarin. 

I actually took mandarin classes at Beijing University previously and it was great! However right now I am residing near Guomao and hence, the only nearby reputable school that I can think of at the moment is UIBE. 

• Like 2

Sorry for late reply. Had a busy week.

26 hours/ week for the intensive classes.

For Elementary classes, I know it is less than 20 hours/week, basically just morning classes. My roommate studied 1 year of Elementary Chinese and they are now doing Business Chinese. They speak Mandarin very well. I think the Elementary here means Regular which means the pace is slower compare to intensive. They are also divided into different classes depending on your level of knowledge in Mandarin. No placement tests were done for Elementary and Intensive (at least for Intensive I am sure). A teacher will just interview you, talk to you in Chinese, will let you read some Chinese characters. 

I bought the Business Chinese books for future reading for myself, I haven't started reading it yet but when I browsed through the pages it's not all business terms. In business you just don't do business, you also need to relate or make a connection. I think that is what the non-business terms are used for. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Next year I plan to enroll for Master's program. Now I'm considering UIBE too. Is anyone here studying master here? How is teaching quality? Class environment? Are you studying with Chinese students as well? What's UIBE reputation in China and what's Job perspectives after graduating?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am planning to apply to the busines bachelor in University of International Business and Economics, my mandarin is basic since they are taught in english, although I plan to learn Mandarin while I study here, with that being said can someone tell me how difficult is to find a good job with a bachelor degree of this university? how well know is this university in China? 

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, my university is offering scholarships for an exchange program with UIBE, at the 'Global Exchange and 

Experience Center'. Has anyone studied there? Can anyone tell me what type of courses are offered? The university told me that the classes will all be in English. Will there also be Chinese language courses? Thanks in advance! 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm going to be studying at UIBE as a Postgrad. student via CSC Scholarship. My question is about accommodation, namely, which building will scholarship students be assigned to or do we have to make a reservation somehow? I contacted the office but the response wasn't particularly clear. Also which building do we have to go to in order to check-in and what is the deposit amount? Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

@DianaZh, I was notified via email mid-June. I applied directly through the university as well as through the EU-Window. After contacting them, I was notified that I was awarded the scholarship through the University's quota not the EU's. So if you applied through your embassy you will probably have to wait for them to publish a list before you can be certain that you have a scholarship. Hope that helps!