Chinese-Forums

Beijing Foreign Studies University

roddy

Hello guys,

I just got my admission notice a few days ago. Any update on when exactly will the semester start? I'll be studying my degree in International Journalism and Communications. And is anyone else annoyed by the fact that BFSU's English site is never updated?

Very exciting!! Judging by the other Beijing University starting dates I believe it will be the week after registrations which are the 5th and 6th September. But again, that's based on the other universities, not BFSU itself. Any thoughts on a finishing date for the Autumn Semester? I have had to book a return ticket so I kind of winged it and am hoping I don't have to change it!

I am VERY annoyed, however, they have a great set of staff responding to any emails sent to their exchange office - if you want the email I can post it here for you. They have been super helpful with information regarding subjects and accommodation and everything so cannot complain there!

Where have you guys applied to stay? On campus or off campus?

Yeah, the email could be a great help.

I just applied to stay on campus, the GuoJiao building to be exact. Hopefully I can get that one.

Oh btw, I haven't introduced myself. I'm from Malaysia and am Chinese. My Chinese skills are somewhat okay but still lacks a lot of polish since I speak mostly English at home. I am what the local Chinese call a Banana (Yellow on the outside, White on the inside) You guys can call me Yen :)

@sarahvbarlow

I'm planning to stay in bailou, the one i originally recommended. BTW, you may want one with your own individual washroom, Chinese bathrooms aren't well known for excessive cleaniness. No idea about finishing date or anything. I have a ticket booked for Aug 30th.

@sarahvbarlow

Oh, I was starting to worry, but at that time I haven't gotten my scholarship yet so it'd be impossible to get the acceptance letter then for me, what a relief, haha.

But BFSU is really slow with releasing any info, this is so annoying. So if you could post that email I'd be really grateful.

As to the Autumn semester - seems that last year the exam session lasted from 31.12. (ekhm...) for 2 weeks, then the winter break started at 14.01. So it should be somewhere around this time this year as well, but not sure when exactly...

@eseanyang

awesome :) I requested that I was in a single room with bathroom, and they assured me that they were single bathrooms - so fingers crossed they weren't telling fibs!

@nushia

Haha, not too worry - I know that many people from my university are still waiting for letters, I suppose when you think about it, when first applying for uni you don't get the letters months in advance (at least in australia anyway). I will definitely try to post some things up here with a bit more information, they also passed on a link to where the calendar would be released (they said early june) so i'll post that up as well. Just give me a bit and I will get on to it ! Until then, the email to contact them is :

wsclxb@bfsu.edu.cn

I have a quick question regarding Visa stuff.. From what I read, you still need to apply for a residence permit via the local authorities in Beijing regardless if staying on-campus or off-campus. Could anyone help me clarify this? :)

I am applied for an F visa, which is like their business visa for under 6 months in the country..and I didn't see anything about that on there! So that's probably not much help. I might dig into this

I actually asked around regarding the visa stuff. As it turns out, the visa only gets you into the country but the important thing is the residence permit that you have to get from the local authorities. If I'm not mistaken, you have to renew it every year if not they'll declare you an illegal immigrant. At least that's what the China Embassy had told me in my country.

Short-term students may be on an F visa - in this case you don't need to do anything else. If you arrive on an L or X visa you need to get a residence permit, regardless of living on-campus or off. The university should walk you through the process, and everyone else will be doing it at the same time. If you have any further questions start a new topic in the visa forum - these issues are common to all universities.

Hi there

My name is Gosia and i'm from Poland. I wonder if anyone is going to BFSU from Konfucius Institute Scholarship ?

If yes have you got your admission package ? also have you also applied for rooms in the univ ?

Thanks for infos.

If anyone wants to talk before going there please pm me so we won't spam people here

If someone is interested, i just got this reply from the BFSU about accommodation

"If you are a scholarship student or an exchange student, there will be an accommodation reservation form included in the admission package sent to you. If you are a general student, you can only book the room when you register at BFSU at the beginning of the new semester and check in immediately. You can move in the dorm room no more than 3 days earlier than the registration date."

Does anyone know when is the registration date ?