Chinese-Forums

Beijing Normal University

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of Beijing Normal University. Any questions on accommodation - dorms and apartments - can go here. Academic, application or general campus queries can go in here.

For archived posts, see here and maybe do a search or two. All new questions or info should go in here, or in the accommodation topic, thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I've recently asked a few questions concerning the registration process of Beijing Normal University without any reactions, but as there seem to be quite some former and current students following this thread, I'm going to try my luck here. I'm planning to register for a Chinese language course at 师大, starting February 2012.

- I'll be arriving in Beijing early December (on a 3 months tourist visa), while the deadline for registration at the university is 31 December. How much time is needed to register? Can I just walk in and pay, or would it be best to apply online as soon as possible from Europe, in the hope that I get all the paperwork done before moving to China?

- Does anyone have good experiences with the online payment (by credit card) system? The online application website seems so amateurish.

- Every foreigner with a bachelor degree and enough money gets accepted for Chinese language courses at universities, as long as they register before the deadline, right?

- If I first register for one semester (to 'try out' the university), and after that semester decide to stay at this university (or switch to another one), can my residence permit be extended by the university, or do I first have to leave the country, get a tourist visa, re-enter, etc.? Also, would I need to pay the registration fee (or any other fees) again (when staying at the same university)?

Answers or thoughts on any of these questions would be very much appreciated!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi all,

Could someone please tell me what the surrounding area of Beishida is like? ie. transport system, eateries, places of interest, parks, hutongs, local hangouts, galleries, bars etc? I have heard it is quite secluded and isolate in comparison to some of the other universities like Beida and BLCU in the Wudaokou area, which I am wanting to distance myself from in order to limit the amount of English I use there!

Thanks

• Like 1

It's great. I lived there for five-odd years, and while I haven't lived there for a few years I know people who do and they still speak highly of it. You're close to the subway, have a ton of transport links, easy access to the lake at Xihai and the Beishida campus (the nearest the area has to a park), a ridiculous number of eating options, decent cafes and rents which aren't quite as inflated as Wudaokou / Chaoyang. BNU is the only university in the area with any real number of foreign students - you will see foreigners around, but they don't define the area as much as they do elsewhere.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • New Members

Hello, I'm planning on attending BNU this Fall for 1 semester to take the Chinese language program. I sent off my application 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything.

Has anyone had any response from BNU? And if so how long did it take for the application to process? And should I be expecting an email notification or someone by post?

Thanks

• Like 1

• New Members

Hi all!

New to the forum and wanted to ask if anyone is doing the BNU summer course this June? I've signed up through CUCAS and everything has come through (apparently i just got to turn up with the docs, pay my fees and they will give me a room. Almost too simple?). Anyway just wanted to ask those who are going/has been before, is a visa nessesary for admission (i'm Chinese so i can get in and out of the country without one)? It's probably a question i should have asked before applying... but i guess thats a bit late for that now.

Thanks,

LK

• 2 months later...

Brilliant write-up. You've made me miss the time I was there (2006). As I've forgotten almost everything I learnt, maybe I'll just go and do it all over again. I was in level 101 and stayed Dorm 3 (like you, sharing a bathroom with one other).

Hi everyone!

I've just been accepted into BNU for a langauge program starting next semester (on China gov scholarship). Im in the process of trying to secure a dorm room..

from what I understand, i need to log onto a site:

http://www.bnulxsh.com/english/index.htm

this is the international students portal site in English but it does seem to be frequently down..or am I doing something wrong? Having read that dorm rooms go quickly, i am keen to secure a room asap.

is anyone able to shed light on this situation? Thanks!

You need to log onto here www.bnulxsh.com/applynew/include/login1.php?version=en. Just now I didn't have any trouble with the website but it may just have to do with what time you try to get on because there are a lot of people trying to secure housing. Maybe try accessing the website at different times of the day.

Your Admission Number should have been included with your other admission materials. If not, I would get in contact with someone at the university.

I hope this answered your question, but if not, please write back and we'll try to figure it out. :)

i have tried that link that you gave me but the site doesn't load. rather strange how it works for you! it must be the case that too many people are trying to log on...this is quite unsettling and im hoping that there is something left for me when i finally log in.. im really anxious to get campus accomodation (this being my first time studying in China...)

thanks for your reply and also for your earlier massive post. i found the information very useful and practical !

You could also try using a different browser and see if that helps! I use Firefox and I've never had a problem with any of the BNU site pages. If that doesn't work, you could try a computer that's on a different network, like at a friend's house or something. Let me know how it goes!

You will probably be fine getting housing but in the case that it doesn't work out you should talk to the people at the International Students Office (where you will register) when you arrive, tell them your situation and they will help you. Even in the small possibility that you're not able to register for housing online beforehand, I am 100% positive that you will still be able to live in the dorms. There is a LOT of shuffling around the first few weeks as people switch dorms and decide to live off campus. If you go to the front desk of any of the dorms and tell them you want to live there they'll have you put your name on a waiting list.The waiting list I signed to switch into Dorm 3 was 4 pages long and I still got a call the next day.

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help and glad to hear from other people going to BNU! You'll have a wonderful time; keep us posted!

I've finally managed to get through to the website! now ive encountered another problem: after enterring my admission number and birthday into the dormitory reservation site, I keep getting a message telling me that my password is wrong! I've triple-checked my admission number and password etc but its all correct..my name doesn't appear to be in their system!

so i think its best for me to get in contact with someone at BNU ! do you reckon it'd be best to call the international student office? could I speak to them in English? (my chinese isn't so great yet...)

thanks again!

Hmm, that's interesting. Definitely get in touch with their office and remember there is a time difference! And usually Chinese people leave work for a couple hours for lunch. There are some people who speak English that work there and sometimes there are other foreign students. When I was having visa issues Du Laoshi helped me out a lot so if you're having trouble communicating, ask for him!

I just went through some of my old emails and found this contact information, in case you don't already have it somewhere. Email: isp@bnu.edu.cn or Tel: +86-10-58807986, +86-10-58808364, +86-10-58800325. Probably just different lines for people in the same office. Let me know how it goes!

Hi everyone!

I received my admission notice last week (BNU - MA Educational Management and Leadership - CSC scholarship) . It's an English-Taught Program

According to the instructions, CSC Students don't have to resevre the dorm and i must check in Lanhui Apartment after september 1st. Any ideas about This Dorm ? I guess there is no single rooms there.

Also , is 1700 Yuan per month enough for food and transportaion ?

Thanks!

Hi hamada!

Congrats on getting the scholarship!

Although I never personally visited Lanhui Apartments, I knew some people who lived there and they liked it okay. Here's a link with some pictures: http://www.bnulxsh.c...nhuipicture.htm . I think you're right that there are no single rooms.

It is definitely possible to live on 1700 a month, which is about 55 kuai a day, but you may not want to. You would need to have a pretty strict budget and stick to it. A lot will depend on your meal choices because transportation is cheap if you walk or take the bus or subway a lot. Cab fare changed like right after I left and I think it's a minimum of 13 kuai now and one at the end as a fuel charge, so that's 14 kuai right off the bat. In addition you're paying for every km after the first three, so taking a cab can get (relatively) pretty expensive. Sorry if that didn't make any sense. Basically get a transportation card (at any subway station) and just take the bus (but if you're out really late you'll have to take a cab because there are only a few buses that run through the night). You can get a good meal for 5 kuai or 40 kuai depending on where you decide to eat, even just on and around campus. In addition to just food and transportation if you want to go to the markets you'll want more but how much depends on what market you go to, what you're buying, and how you bargain - and if you decide to just go to the mall you'll be paying a lot more because it's retail.

You will almost definitely be spending more than 1700 a month unless you are usually a really frugal person, but if you are mindful of where your money is going, don't make dumb purchases, and TAKE THE BUS you will at least have the peace of mind that you're being a reasonable spender and still able to do most everything you want to do, even if it takes a little longer to get there. You just have to decide what's more important to you personally: saving money or saying HECK IT and running off to the Great Wall Music Festival and other such fun things. I would not have felt comfortable living on 55 kuai a day, I would have been too worried about staying on a budget to really enjoy the things I spent my money on. When you are living in a different culture and country than the one you are used to it's nice to be able to splurge a little on some granola when you miss it.

If you have a smartphone or iPod Touch you should download the Baidu map app (百度地图),it will help you immensely with navigating bus routes and finding fun places to go.

Sorry this post is a mess. Hope it helped and have a wonderful time! Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Like 2

Hi 金妙漪 !

I rang BNU international office regarding my issues and they told me that, since I am a under the government scholarship, I don't have to pre-book my dormitory. She just told me to arrive on enrolment day and it will all be arranged for me.

So this probably/definitely means that scholarship holders will be put in a shared room (like your korean friends you mentioned in your post) and is beyond my control (as it states on my my admission letter, but i was kind of hoping to get into the booking system early so I could decide which type of room i would be staying in). I'm hoping that I can get along well with my new roomie !

thanks for the advice ;)

• Like 1