Chinese-Forums

Beijing Normal University

roddy

• 5 months later...

Has anyone studied at the department of economics and business management and could share some expreriences? I am going to start my studies in that department this fall semester for one year. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Anyone else going to BNU this September? My parents are Chinese but was raised in the UK, hence the year abroad to further my mandarin lol. Would be cool if any other students who went out there give a share of their experience in and out of the university would be cool.

I'm looking to rent a flat instead of halls, what are people's opinions? Are the dorms strict with certain things i.e. going in & out. 

But if anyone else is out there I'm arriving on the 24th this month, if anyone's around it'll be good to have dinner or something so we're not clueless haha. 

Hi Andy!

I'll be a second-year undergraduate student at BNU this fall and an assistant director of our International Student Volunteer group, which is tasked with helping new students to adjust to life in Beijing, getting settled into their studies at BNU, and things generally along that line.

The dorms at BNU are on the whole very nice, particularly in International Student Dorm #3, but many of the nicer apartment buildings only a bus stop or two away are priced very competitively, assuming you can find a roommate.  The dorms aren't very strict about things in general, and lack a strict curfew overall, but International Student Dorm #1 closes doors for non-residents after 9 or 10 (I've been in America over the summer, so my memory's a bit hazy), so you won't be able to have friends in your dorm hanging out very late unless you bring them in beforehand.

You really can't go wrong either way, in my opinion.  Living off campus will no doubt afford you more autonomy and privacy if you can make it to classes on time, but living on campus makes it easier to make friends and take part in campus social life.  Living in any international dorm other than Lanhui also puts you within a couple of minutes' walking time of the classrooms where you'll be having your language classes.  If you're anything like me, having "oversleeping insurance" is a plus.  :)

I'll be back in Beijing around the same time as you.  If you or anyone else would like to get together at BNU or has any further questions, I can be reached by WeChat/微信 at "EdwardsW" (without the quotation marks--just mention that you're from Chinese-forums.com in your introduction message) and by email at BillatBNU@gmail.com.  I can also put you in touch with other members from the International Student Volunteer group, if you'd like.  We're here to help!  Hope to see you around campus in the fall.  :)

• Like 2

Bill, and others, we'd really appreciate it if questions about BNU are kept on the site where other members can benefit from them. You're also more than welcome to get in touch and talk about how our site can help you run a sustainable community for BNU students.

Are you the same group as these guys?

Hi Roddy!  I'm in agreement that keeping most of the information in a single place is best for the community.  I actually lurked on this site quite a bit for info as I was applying for the CSC scholarship a year and some ago, though I had unfortunately neglected to contribute anything myself until now.  :)

The group that you linked to is the OuMei Group at our school, which is (at the moment, at least) sort of an unofficial group of students from Europe and the Americas--new students from those areas usually sign up to be a part of their mailing list after arriving at BNU, and that's about the long and the short of it.  They're a useful resource, but as far as I'm aware, they don't so much do much in person as put out info about what's going on on campus.  There's also a fair amount of overlap between OuMei and the Volunteer Group.  Also, from the looks of that Yahoo group, it seems that they haven't updated that in quite some time.

The International Student Volunteer group consists of students from all over, and the language of choice is more often Chinese than English.  We're officially sanctioned and regulated to a degree by the university, with the head of the International Student Affairs Department to report to.  We're also allocated departmental funds for events, projects, etc.  Though we do things all year long, our biggest responsibilities are around the beginning of each semester, helping new students find their dorms, get signed up for classes, find their classrooms, and so on.

I'm posting here simply because I like the community and I'd like to be of help--I'm not posting on official behalf of the Volunteer Group or BNU.  Hopefully I can help answer questions about our school and life in Beijing in general to help smooth the transition for some of our new students.  Asking questions here so as to save other prospective students from having to ask them in the future is great!  Additionally, anyone headed to BNU or even just Beijing in general who wants a contact in the area is more than welcome to message me.  :)

• Like 3

Does anyone have any good suggestions if I'm planning to rent a flat out on my own? As I saw loads online, but then got in touch with them via we chat/phone they sent me completely different photos compared to them online. 

I'm planning to go around the area and find estate agent to move in... So if anyone has a good suggestion regarding flats and housing please let me know! I'll be over there on the 22nd August. 

• 1 month later...

I appreciate all of the excellent information that has been posted here about BNU. I have been looking at their Chinese language programs for foreigners and am strongly considering enrolling at Beijing Normal for one year starting in September 2015. If I do so, I hope that I can make it into their advanced level classes. Time shall tell!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I'm going to study at BNU in the spring semester. I've already got all the needed documents, but one thing is not clear for me: when exactly should I come to Beijing. In the JW202 there is the "Deadline for registration" which is February 26th, in the Admission Letter I also found the information that I should come on the 26th of February. But on another paper (printed on a pink sheet) there is written that I should check-in at the dormitory AFTER February 26th. At first I thought it's a mistake, so I checked the Chinese version as well, but there is also clearly stated "226日后可以入住". Does it mean I should come to Beijing before 26th, but can check-in only after that date? Does it mean I should find some hostel for few days? Anyone who had a situation like this, please tell me how I should deal with that…

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

Does anyone else have trouble with the BNU website? My application was submitted days ago, but I still haven't been able to pay my application fee online. I emailed the office and got an ambiguous reply that yes, I must pay the application fee with the application which wasn't really the question I asked. I called today, but no one is picking my calls up, probably because it's a weekend. I'm rather worried, since it's already the day of the deadline for application, and I haven't been able to pay my fee. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

@Shen Li

I had a lot of trouble with this website and concerning the application fee too. I called them and they told me that you should wait the application to be process and that you would be able to pay the fee after this step :)

But i have an other issue, if someone could help me :)

I submit my application for a Master a couple of weeks ago and send my application by mail with my scholarchip application last weekend. I received today a message asking me to Re-apply and to fill correctly the form. I think it concerns the Emergency Contact in China, Do you think it should be someone in China obligatory ? Because I completed with my mum's information, but she lives in France.

And do you think I should mail again my application ?

Thank you ! :D

• 1 month later...

@stella06 

if you're talking about the CLCU program, then it runs about the same as a regular semester. I think each class can differ, but for my class, we have two classes/four sections a day. I don't think there's a regular vs. intensive program, it just depends on which level of Chinese you test into (100, 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302).

It ends up being 20 hours a week (also a 2 hour "self study" class, but no one in my class goes to it). And for the most part, your classes are going to be conversation (hui hua), listening (ting li), and reading+writing (du xie). The last class depends on which level you're in. I know that 100 takes a pin yin class as their fourth, and i'm not sure about 101. 102+ takes a Newspaper reading class, but I think there are different options in the higher up levels.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...