Chinese-Forums

South China University of Technology

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of South China University of Technology. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with South China University of Technology goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@maurice people said that this uni is no.2 in guangzhou. but i don't know too.. have you check the website? i think this uni is not so bad too. and it'll be sure that we can get the dorm. it's regarding from the staff there. this uni near jinan university but bigger than jinan.

@jessica: Well... I think this uni has better management compared to SYSU. Since they approved my application faster. Also they send the document using email unlike SYSU using airmail (I assume since I have applied so long ago...). I have checked their website. They provide a lot of information about the uni and the course. Also they have the intensive chinese language programme which I like. Unfortunately, due to some circumstances I most probably will go to SYSU.

How about u? Do your application approved by SYSU already?

@maurice i still don't know to choose scut or sysu. both seem ok for me. the facilities is better at scut. also with the dorm, so much better than sysu. but from the quality, they said sysu is better...i still confused. haha

• 3 weeks later...

@jessicajejess

What did you end up choosing? I decided I wanted to pursue my bachelors, so SYSU seemed like the best choice in GZ (I already live here in China). I don't think you can go wrong with either. South China has wonderful campuses and a good location near the center of the city. SYSU also has a great campus, and people who have take non-degree and degree courses there have been generally happy.

@william

I am not joining SCUT, but if you have questions about the school or the city, feel free to ask me.

• Like 1

@dandmcd from last year i have planned to go to SYSU. but at the end, i might probably wouldn't get a dorm inside campus. and my parents no't allowed me to live outside. it seems to be so risky if i choose SYSU and i'm not sure whether i get a dorm or not. is SCUT good too?

• Like 1

@jessica

Yeah, the dorm room thing is a bit of a pain, lucky for me I have a small apartment in the city. I would ensure your parents it won't be so bad, there are tons of people looking for roommates in August, and people who will come and go. Just follow or post on GZstuff.coom classifieds, or keep looking on here for people sharing an extra bed. After the school year ends many students and foreign teachers will go back home, to never return, so there will be lots of roommates wanted. You will quickly find many people in the same situation as yours on registration day who will group up to find an apartment nearby the school. This is common here in China. I can give you advice or assistance if needed, as I am sure others on chinese-forums will be helpful as well to get settled in.

Honestly, information is limited about SCUT's program. I think it looks really good reading their website brochure online. One of the campuses is located in Wushan, a fantastic and beautiful campus, with lots of good food and coffee shops around, and near the center of the city. Campus 2 is at the Higher Education Mega Center, an island of universities in the southeastern part of the city, the very northeast side of the Panyu district. Well, pros there is the campus is new, and there are tons of schools, so you will be around a lot of college students. Downside is there is not much to do there, a couple small campus malls and a couple basic canteens. For an island full of universities, there is not a whole lot for the hundreds of thousands of students and teachers to do there, so you have to take the subway west into the city. Currently there is only one north/south subway there, so you have to transfer 2 to 3 times to get anywhere fun, and the trip to the railway station or airport is painfully long. The island is nice to ride bikes around, but all the parks are unkept and it seems all they want to do is keep building the concrete jungle, not make a peaceful place to spend 1 to 6 years of your life.

Problem is, I don't know what campus you would end up at, I don't know anyone in the Chinese school right now. If Wushan, that's great, I'd be happy there. I'm sure if you shoot off an email to the admissions department they would be happy to tell you what school and dorm you would be using. Let me know what you find out, I can always tell you more.

• Like 1

@dandmcd from the brochure i read, i'll most probably get into north campus at the Tianhe districs. i'm not sure where it is. sharing room from forum is a little bit risky..how if we end up have an unexpected roommate? it'll be so hard to move as we still need to find another apartment. thankyou very much for your help and explaination until now. it really helped me so much. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Nazrul Islam Sheikh

hello everyone , I am going to SCUT under chinese government scholarship tentatively in Engineering . ( school of Electronic and information engineering) , Is there anyone from there ?? Can I get some feedback about the university s study standard , livings , dorms , finding job opportunity after graduation from SCUT etc...Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone ever taken the summer courses at this university? The university seems quite alright to me, also because I am already studying engineering in Belgium. 

I'm thinking of taking the summer course in 2014, since it's about the only summer course where the timing matches my free time during summer perfectly.

• 5 months later...

I have just received a scholarship to study chinese here for one semester from March 2015. Anyone know if it will be the Tianhe or Panyu district? I am reading conflicting information on their website.