Chinese-Forums

真的 or 真地?

YuehanHao

Today I read something in a report that vexed me and desired to write in the margin of my copy a rhetorical question to show scorn, such as "do you really think this is correct?"

I started to write 你真的认为..., but then (perhaps overthinking using English grammar) reconsidered that as 认为 is a verb, perhaps it should instead be 你真地认为...?

Using a search engine, I found more results for the former, yet still many others for the latter. Perhaps both may be used (?), but I wonder whether one version is preferred. I further wonder how to interpret the 你真的认为... construction - is it correct that this implies 你真的(假的)认为..., or should it be thought of in a different way?

Thanks if anyone is willing to help,

约翰好

Personally, I will use 地 instead of 的 to modify the verb. I was taught that way when I was a kid. However, nowadays whenever I read the illustrated children books, 的 is used pervasely, which vexs me as well. A lot of pronunciations of Chinese characters are different from what I've been taught. For example: 熱騰騰 we used to pronounce it as re4 teng2 teng2 and now it is pronounced as re4 teng1 teng1. To me, it's so weird!!

I think it should be 真的. I think 真地認爲 is not acceptable.

I agree that 熱騰騰 is re4 teng2 teng2. Questions - (1) How did you create that link? Links to that dictionary usually time-out pretty soon. (2) What does (變) mean in that dictionary.

@skylee:

(1) How did you create that link? Links to that dictionary usually time-out pretty soon.

Type the phrase or words you need in that search box. When the page turns out, mark the url link and paste it here.

(2) What does (變) mean in that dictionary.

It means that re4 teng2 teng2 has changed its pronunciation to re4 teng1 teng1, which is taught at the elementary school in Taiwan.

If you search MoE for 騰, you will find that 騰 is mostly given as téng, but there are several exceptions apart from 熱騰騰

不騰騰 ㄅㄨˋ ㄊㄥˊ ㄊㄥˊ (又音)ㄅㄨˋ ㄊㄥ ㄊㄥ

撲騰騰 ㄆㄨ ㄊㄥˊ ㄊㄥˊ (變)ㄆㄨ ㄊㄥ ˙ㄊㄥ

毛毛騰騰 ㄇㄠˊ ㄇㄠˊ ㄊㄥˊ ㄊㄥˊ (變)ㄇㄠˊ ㄇㄠˊ ㄊㄥ ㄊㄥ

慢慢騰騰 ㄇㄢˋ ㄇㄢˋ ㄊㄥˊ ㄊㄥˊ (變)ㄇㄢˋ ˙ㄇㄢ ㄊㄥ ㄊㄥ

慢騰騰 ㄇㄢˋ ㄊㄥˊ ㄊㄥˊ (變)ㄇㄢˋ ㄊㄥ ㄊㄥ

困騰騰 ㄎㄨㄣˋ ㄊㄥˊ ㄊㄥˊ (又音)ㄎㄨㄣˋ ㄊㄥ ㄊㄥ

氣騰騰 ㄑ|ˋ ㄊㄥˊ ㄊㄥˊ (變)ㄑ|ˋ ㄊㄥ ㄊㄥ

Basically, it seems that when 騰 is repeated, it becomes tēng.

http://dict.revised.moe.edu.tw/cgi-bin/newDict/dict.sh?cond=%C4%CB&pieceLen=100&fld=1&cat=&ukey=681133309&serial=1&recNo=0&op=&imgFont=1

Perhaps someday 因為 (yin1 wei4) will become yin1 wei2 as pronounced in Mainland China.

Some people pronounce it this way, but I think yin1 wei4 is more common (or maybe I haven't been paying enough attention?).

EDIT: Possibly because the shanghainese pronunciation is closer to yin1 wei4.

As for the other pronunciations....well....different places have their ways of pronouncing it. For example: 垃圾 is pronounced as la1 ji1 in mainland China but le4 se4 in Taiwan. Just try to look at the dictionary if you are scared you'll learn the wrong thing.

Yes, this is true. We have a thread on this. But what semantic nuance said is that in Taiwan, some of the pronunciations have been changed, and as a result the pronunciation of 熱騰騰 has become the same as that on the Mainland.

Now I don't know whether I pronounce it wei4 or wei2

If you are sitting an exam, the officially correct pronunciation is yīnwèi. In real life, I used to hear most people say yīnwéi, and this is how find I usually pronounce it unless I'm paying attention.