Chinese-Forums

真的 or 真地?

YuehanHao

Re OneEye's remark about the Mandarin standard in Taiwan, I think it is worthwhile to find out what the standard is instead of arguing whether it is helpful to provide links to mainland websites when discussing things in Taiwan, or if the Mainland standard is applicable etc.

It is set out quite clearly in the 國語小字典 of the Taiwan MOE that - 「一」字單用或在一詞一句的末尾,讀陰平聲;在去聲字前,讀陽平聲;在陰平、陽平、上聲之前,讀去聲。 (source - paste the word 一 in the box)

I have also searched on the the web and found this document from 教育部國語推行委員會, which seems to set out quite clearly the tone change rules of “一” -> http://www.google.co...Eage4Uz9mVvv2Eg

So what OneEye hears all the time is not the standard even in Taiwan. But I think it is quite standard that people don't follow the standards. :)

• Like 1

Re: "Please read the second paragraph, thanks."

Hehe! Yes, I think it is one of those little intercultural misunderstandings. My wife is a native speaker of Chinese, and when she makes a request (in English) she often adds "thanks" *before* I have said "Sure!". Because of that, it feels more like an order than a request. It feels like it is taken for granted that I will do it.

There are many other traces of Chinese in her excellent English. For example, she will refer to "that female sales assistant" or "that female student" where there is no particular reason to prefix "female".

I should have clarified, that I was referring to 真地 from a date before any instances of 真的. This, of course, implies that the text has to be in Mandarin.

...And I searched around a bit and some dude on the internet said 真的 might be a 輕聲 version of 真的(di4, target). Just putting it out there.