Chinese-Forums

I'm another CSC scholarship student going to HIT in 2012

Mactuary

Greetings all,

I am not a seasoned traveller and as such I am becoming more and more nervous as the time to departure approaches ever so closely. I will be starting in March, though I don't know the exact date, and I will be there for the one year program. I just have a few questions:

1. From when will the scholarship take effect? When will the government start paying for my accommodation?

2. Do I need to do anything else to get a room in the dorm? Other than registering between 26th and 28th February 2012.

3. Will I have to register in person or can I send them a letter containing all the relevant documents?

4. Is there a reliable contact at HIT for foreign students? I've sent some emails already but to no avail.

5. I've read somewhere that the choice of single rooms go to those who get there first, but I've also read that sometimes this doesn't work. Does anyone know how the rooms are allocated? Also am I correct in assuming that all the rooms don't allow smoking?

Any help would greatly reduce put me at ease. I've been studying Chinese like crazy for the past few weeks and I'm planning to continue on this path to make full use of my time in China.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Roger

Did you apply to the CSC directly? It's very uncommon to start in March instead of September.

1. Assuming you are on full scholarship you will only be paying for the visa, possibly insurance, and possibly books. It differs by school but they may give you some starting cash on registration day and ask that you open a bank account for monthly deposits of your living allowance.

2. You will probably need to go to the dorm separately to reserve a room and then take the slip back to the registration office.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian,

I have sent my application the usual way, I think. Everything was through my local university in Sydney. In the application I said that my starting date would depend on when I receive the scholarship, if at all. Anyway, what's written in my Admission Notice is 2012 March to January 2013.

I'm on full scholarship: (including tuition, lodging, medical care, learning material and living allowance)

So I guess I will still have to pay for the visa and flight tickets.

6. Will I need to purchase travel insurance as well?

7. Will there be airport pickup service in Harbin for HIT?

8. Has there been a case of not having enough rooms in the dorms?

Normally you have to pay for a dorm when you are at the HIT front desk when you are in Harbin.

You have to resiter in person a couple of days before the semester starts.

Depending on your luck for replying you, no one is reposible for replying your emails. Also the staffs have to teah Chinese and so they are busy.

HIT will offer single dorms (few single dorms) to scholorship students (could be students from Aferica countries etc) but some exceptional. No,you can smoke in your room if your roommate is OK. The double dorm at No.13 Building in HIT is two double room shares one bathroom and one public kitchen room. First come first serve.

Regarding for your travel insurance, I don't think it necessary if you want to travel in China. If you study in China more than one year, you have to pay for an isurance which covers a lot.

As I know HIT will pick up students more than 10 for one group. So probably HIT will not pick you up.

Yes, this last Autumn Semester HIT had too many students coming and they don't have enough droms for students. Some has to live in a hotel nearby. But now some students moved out the dorms are available now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Actually I've received a reply. I will be sharing a room with another person and there will be four people in the flat, as mentioned in the previous post. I hope my roommate is just as agreeable as I am and doesn't smoke or sleep too late.

There will not be airport pickup service.

• 2 weeks later...

From the airport you can use shuttle No.1. You can buy the ticket at the booth at the left side of the exit of demostic arriving. Bear in mind that No.1 Route of the shuttle. There is a stop at HIT and you can take a taxi after the shuttle to No.13 Building. Tell the cab driver to go through the main gate. And you have to pay 9 rmb + 3 for the toll gate.

Also HIT students office took over the booking from the front desk of No.13 Building.

This is a bit late but I have arrived safely after 24 hours of plane and airport time. I took the bus but it didn't stop at HIT, the bus driver said that there was heavy traffic ahead. So I got off early and caught the taxi from there. I got off at the front gate and wondered around in the freeze, none of the local students seem to know there building 13 is, most just point in a general direction. After getting some pointings in the same direction I decided to go that way. After arriving at the right building, I was informed that I first have to register at another building (the student office), about 5 minutes away. 2.5 hours later I arrived in my room, happy as ever.

Now I have another problem with smoking that you can read about in my latest post.

Thanks for all your help.