Chinese-Forums

Summer Camp Scholarship . . .?

hibicc

Well BICC is Beijing's biggest private language school
BICC is not a known school at the moment in Beijing

?

Anyway, I agree, with jkhsu, I don't think it's a scam as such, because even if the scholarship was just being used as a marketing gimmick, you'd pretty much need all the participants to take out the optional package just to be covering costs so it wouldn't be a very good one. I just think you probably could have marketed it better to make it look like you weren't just trying to push the optional package.

Whats so skeptical about it?

The fact that you didn't really provide any information in your first post, and so people are naturally going to want to ask questions to get to the bottom of what it is exactly that you're offering.

Imron: Well infrastructure wise and with all the resources the school has, its the biggest private school in Beijing. We haven't done any marketing since the school started because we were too busy with all the government projects so people around Beijing doesn't know about this school. BICC has 2 full fledge campuses in Beijing at the moment.

Well you are right, I should have provided all the details in the very first post. I am new to this forum but I'll keep this in mind. Thanks

In essence, here's what you should have said in your original post:

"A one month summer camp program at BICC which includes tuition, hotel, all meals, weekend field trips around Beijing (plus whatever you want to add) costs a total of [X] USD. We are offering a scholarship which pays [Y] USD toward the total cost of the summer camp. Students who receive the scholarship only need to pay the remaining $1500 USD."

(I am not sure if the $1500 USD option is only available to scholarship recipients but if it is, you can add the following)

"The scholarship by itself covers one month of tuition, hotel stay in a shared room and breakfasts. While not recommended, scholarship recipients have the option of not paying the remaining $1500 USD, which includes the additional meals, events, field trips and other items listed above."

I should have provided all the details in the very first post.

Honestly, I still don't think you have included nearly enough information about what the program will actually do. Personally, if I'm going to travel 5000 miles to a foreign country, I'm going to expect at least two pages of information, plus pictures. Yes, it's free, but it's a full month during the summer, and I would expect most people would have other options (e.g. job, other programs even if not free) to weight this against.

But, I could very well be wrong. Let me know how many (quality) applications you get, and I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong.

• 4 weeks later...