Chinese-Forums

Nanking Massacre ................but way before

Ian_Lee

Sometimes I don't understand why Chinese government is only getting angry over the Nanking Massacre whenever Japanese government or historian is ambiguous about it.

Nanking Massacre was as horrendous as Auschwitz. No doubt. But so far what Japanese revisionists could do most is to change the words from "invading" China to "entering" China during WWII.

But the problem should date far back.

During the first Sino-Japanese War of 1894, there were well-documented record of Japanese military killing Chinese civilians in the Liaotung Peninsula.

And in 1904, when Russia and Japan "borrowed" Manchuria as their battleground, there was also well-documented record of Japanese (as well as Russian) military killing innocent Chinese civilians.

In fact, Lu Xun, who was studying Medicine in Sendai at that time, was so shocked to watch some "victory" photos displayed on the campus. Many Chinese spectators's eyes were full of hollowness when the Japanese soldier beheaded a Chinese civilian who was alleged as spy. And from these spectators Lu invented the character Ah-Q.

The problem is that I watched many Japanese movies and TV series which all glorified and legitimized both First Sino-Japanese War (1894) and Russo-Japanese War (1904).

And I guess in their High School History textbooks, both battles would not be portrayed as harbinger for Japanese invasion on the Asia continent but an episode of Japan's advance into the western civilized world!

There is a large museum attached to the 靖国神社 (Yasukuni Shrine) in Tokyo. I understand that it serves as a sort of 'unadulterated version' of the other museum, the official museum of Japanese history (I can't recall the exact name now). While the latter is very tourist friendly (English explanations everywhere), the interesting stuff in the Yasukuni museum is in Japanese only.

As someone with a strong attachment to China (and with the fundamental limitation of not understanding Japanese), I honestly couldn't help the feeling that I was entering some sort of 'alternate reality', like those SF novels where the bad guys win World War Two and get to fly Zeppelins over New York. :shock:

Title: Nanking Massacre ................but way before

So it is not about the Nanking/Nanjing Masscre. why put it in?

Time frame between the two events is 33 years. The "Way before" is a bit exaggerated, do you not think?

Sometimes I don't understand why Chinese government is only getting angry over the Nanking Massacre whenever Japanese government or historian is ambiguous about it.

Because it is a recent.

The victims are still alive and demand justice.

The event is denied or degraded by a large scale in Japan. So long as Japan continue to deny or degrade it, it would continue not to be told internationally; afraid of upsetting Japan.

After this, the next event in debate will gain more focus.

But so far what Japanese revisionists could do most is to change the words from "invading" China to "entering" China during WWII.

A 'little' short on details, I believe... I am sure the Japanese authorities are doing more than just euphemizing the invasion. Such as the magic number of the victims. And the details.

Many Chinese spectators's eyes were full of hollowness...

:conf

Rephrasing needed.

The problem is that I watched many Japanese movies and TV series...

This just became a personal issue rather than a Sino-Japanese issue.

...which all glorified and legitimized both First Sino-Japanese War (1894) and Russo-Japanese War (1904)

I AM SHOCKED!!! :shock: ...Not. :roll: Why state the obivious?

I guess in their High School History textbooks...

Just high school?