Chinese-Forums

Computer shopping in Kunming

abcdefg

On another forum I recently posted an inquiry about where to look for a new computer in Kunming. A helpful and well informed local reader gave me an excellent answer and I will cross-post it here for anyone else who might need it.

Kunming is same as other big cities in the country, having big computer or IT Products Cities. In Kunming, traditionally we have an area named 园西路 Yuan Xi Lu, which covers these areas like Yi Er Yi Da Jie (一二一大街), Yuan Xi Lu (园西路), Yuan Tong Bei Lu (圆通北路) and Gu Lou Lu (鼓楼路). Regarding to the big shopping mall for IT Products, Bai Teng Digital City (佰腾数码广场)is highly recommended because it's huge and you will have lots of choices. For the brand of Lenovo, there are several leading distributors like Yunnan Ju Xing Dian Nao 云南巨星电脑, Yunnan Ke Xu Dian Nao 云南科旭电脑 and Yunnan Di Si Ruan Jian 云南迪思软件. You will find several stores of 云南巨星电脑 in Bai Teng Digital City 佰腾数码广场 or the whole Yuan Xi Lu 园西路 area. There headquarter and warehouse is on No. 70, Gu Lou Lu, 鼓楼路70号。But I think you can buy the laptop from any of there brand store will be ok. Yunnan Di Si Ruan Jian 云南迪思软件 is located in 金太阳电脑城 near Xiao Cai Yuan 小菜园。Normally you can get cheaper price there because their marketing channel or strategy is a little different as others, but the company is trustworthy as well. For post- sale service, nearly all the famous brand of IT Companies are very good, including HP, Sony, Lenovo, Acer and others. They will provide very good service for you whenever you have problem within the warrantee time even if you don't keep the invoice. When you buy the laptop, the sales person will tell you the address and exact contact for post-sale service. So actually it's doesn't matter where you buy the products if you buy it in a legal way, just the price matters a little bit because different distributors may have different prices slightly. It would be better if you have some local friend to help you buy this. Hope it will be helpful for you.

To give appropriate credits, the author of the above advice was @icholiday and the forum from which I copied it was "GoKunming." In my post, I had asked in particular about Lenovo, since I was particularly interested in one of their machines. That's why the reply focuses on that brand.

• 3 months later...

Almost 4 months have passed and I got the computer shopping bug again a couple days ago. This time went with a Chinese friend to Bai Teng Digital City as suggested above. 佰腾数码广场. Found lots and lots of suitable laptops. Am mulling over choices. Some vendors can instal an English version of Windows 7 for a modest additional fee.

I've decided on one of the 13" machines that requires an external CD/DVD player. That way, the computer won't be too heavy, and when I travel, I can take the computer along, but will leave the player at home in Kunming.

As a word to the wise on those of you coming to China to study and wondering whether to bring a computer from the US or to buy one here, I would unhesitatingly tell you to make the purchase back home. Computers are more expensive here, especially if you want the latest iteration of components.

For example, Intel i3 processors are still real common in new mid-range machines and upgrading to an i5 chip adds about 1,000 RMB. An i7 machine is somewhat difficult to come by and adds even more to the cost. A lot of what is considered standard in the US is considered high-end and extra here.

You might save money here on other things, such as clothes and food, but mainland China is not a terrific place for computer shopping. At least that's my take on it thus far.

• Like 2