Chinese-Forums

貉子你吃过吗?Have you eaten raccoon dog?

WestTexas

So I was at the farmer's market the other day. It was quite cold, as it generally is this time of year in northeast China. I stumbled upon what appeared to be a number of frozen, small, skinless dogs stacked in a pile. They had an extremely large amount of fat. Upon asking their purveyor what the animal was, he responded "haozi". I asked him if they were dogs and he said no, but they are similar. They are haozi, he said. Not knowing what they were, I returned home to check the internet for answers.

It turns out the animal is 貉子, or 'raccoon dog', a small, fox-like animal native to East Asia. They are prized for their furs, which explains why there was no fur on the specimens I saw. They are also the only canid that hybernates in winter. Personally, I'm all about eating wild game, and I thought it was cool knowing these things were running wild in my area. I remember, about two years past, seeing one scurry out of a farmer's stockpile, but I'd no idea what it was at the time, thinking it was likely someone's dog.

I'm immensely curious to give them a try, and see how they taste, but of course, having never even heard of this animal before, I've no idea how to cook them. I'm thinking of asking one of the more rustic restaurants in the area to prepare one for my friends and I.

Has anyone else ever seen or eaten these things?

And for those of you (the majority) who haven't, well, at least you learned a new character.

edit: I feel like maybe I should have a comma after 貉子 in the thread title

• Like 1

I'd be very surprised if they're actually wild game - much more likely to be farmed. Fair enough if you want to try a new meat though.

Yeah maybe it is farmed, but it's not that far from my town to some proper wild areas where there are actually forests, hills, and plentiful wildlife. I live within 100 miles of the Mongolian border, and I've been out there. It's definitely wild country. I think it's possible they could be wild.

If I manage to eat one of these things it will be only the second omnivorous nondomesticated animal I've eaten (after feral hog of course), and the first omnivorous nondomesticated animal I've eaten which is not an introduced species. I mean really, how could I not want that?

I mean really, how could I not want that?

This has reminded me of SARS. It happened several years ago so perhaps many people do not remember the outbreak. Take a look at this (and also the wiki) if you are interested.

The results of the research project, jointly conducted by the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Hong Kong University and the Guangzhou Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, are believed to be the first to provide a genetic basis for how SARS spread.

"Our research has shown that the SARS coronavirus found in human victims is the same as the SARS coronavirus found in civet cats," said Wang Ming, an official from the Guangzhou Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

Wang added that the discovery provided proof that civet cats had spread SARS to humans.

Based on the team's findings, Wang advised the public to be cautious about eating wild animals, particularly civet cats.

I do not mean to be discouraging. But please be careful.

I'm immensely curious to give them a try, and see how they taste, but of course, having never even heard of this animal before, I've no idea how to cook them. I'm thinking of asking one of the more rustic restaurants in the area to prepare one for my friends and I.

I would be curious too. Sounds like a good project. I've prepared and eaten lots of wild game since I like to hunt, and though I have not tried this particular animal, would imagine that long, slow, moist heat would be the least problematic method to try first. Since Chinese homes don't usually have ovens, not sure how to achieve that. Maybe cut the critter up and put some pieces in a slow cooker or pressure cooker with a few root vegetables to enhance the flavor. Carrots, onions, maybe even turnips.

Serve with plenty of 白酒!It makes you not care if it isn't perfect.

I do not mean to be discouraging. But please be careful.

I really doubt whether eating the thing makes a real difference. The number of people eating/that are in close contact to the animal is relevant for the contamination risk. I mean many people are eating these things, maybe the consequences are, but the individual risk really isn't that big. I'm no expert, but when properly cooked I doubt there's any risk in eating it. The risk is most likely highest when in close contact while living and the early stages of slaughter (blood contact).

I'm thinking of asking one of the more rustic restaurants in the area to prepare one for my friends and I.

Thought about it some more, and I like your original idea best. If it turns out to be a real winner at the restaurant, you can ask for the recipe or cooking method.

• 5 weeks later...