Chinese-Forums

Chinese Language Program @Tsinghua University (February 2012)

Brian Lau

Hello again everyone !

I was wondering : how are you going to pay all the fees we have to pay when we arrive ?? Tuition fees, room, insurance etc. If we have to pay all of it all together it's going to be a lot of money and I don't know what's the best solution : open an account there, just bring some cash :s or pay with our credit card (as for me, a french one)

That's really strange how there's no drying machine, I've never done laundry without it.

I had a similar thought before I first moved to Prague (and, later, China). Air drying is something you should get used to if you plan to live outside North America - drying machines are relatively infrequent outside of North America (from what I've seen, except in wealthy families). In China I've never heard of any friends having drying machines (even those living in luxury type apartments) - it just isn't that common in China.

I'm starting to get a bit worried now since I still haven't received my admission package. I've already booked my room for February 10 as I'm planning to leave for Beijing at February 9. Untill then I still have to apply for my visa (1 year visa; I'll be attending the CLP for 1 academic year), have my physical examination form completed, and book my flight. I've send them an e-mail yesterday but they haven't replied yet. Come to think of it, they haven't replied on any of my e-mails since 2012. Is there anyone who also hasn't received his/her admission package yet? Or anyone who knows why the admission packages are delayed or whether this is the normal procedure?

Hello again everyone !

I was wondering : how are you going to pay all the fees we have to pay when we arrive ?? Tuition fees, room, insurance etc. If we have to pay all of it all together it's going to be a lot of money and I don't know what's the best solution : open an account there, just bring some cash :s or pay with our credit card (as for me, a french one)

I think all fees are to be paid before the CLP starts. Not sure whether you have to pay everything on the day of your arrival. Maybe you can pay the dormitory fees and insurance first and then the tuition fees. Although this will only buy you a few days.

I'm also not sure how I'm going to pay on my day of arrival. I hope I can pay everything on the second or third day, after my Chinese bank account is arranged.

Hi everyone,

I failed to register for the dormitory because the website never worked. Now Im wondering if there is still a chance to get the dormroom. Does anyone have the same problem? And is anyone looking for accommodation?

Hello again everyone !

hi everyone,

like everybody else, i will be attending this semester.

Did you check Bank of China in France to create/make an account and a credit card for China ? i've read that you may be able to create a multi-currency account there, as for myself i will keep using my current account (french one too) with my current credit card, you pay the change+fee as i remembered, like when you change your money in a bank but that depend on your credit card type.

See you soon everybody :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I failed to register for the dormitory because the website never worked. Now Im wondering if there is still a chance to get the dormroom. Does anyone have the same problem? And is anyone looking for accommodation?

There's a phone number for online reservation of on-campus appartments: +86-10-51535500.(http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/admission.htm). I'm not sure if they can help you out. Maybe it's just a helpdesk for the online revervation system, but you could give it a try. It's odd that the website didn't work for you, since I had no problem using the website on the allocated days (January 12 and 13 I think?). It's less than a month now before the registration date, so I hope they can help you!
Did you check Bank of China in France to create/make an account and a credit card for China ? i've read that you may be able to create a multi-currency account there, as for myself i will keep using my current account (french one too) with my current credit card, you pay the change+fee as i remembered, like when you change your money in a bank but that depend on your credit card type.
I called the Bank of China in the Netherlands today and they told me that it's not possible to open an account in the Netherlands and use it in China. They said you can use the account in Europe, but not outside of Europe. I asked them about the bankcard options, not about credit cards though.

you still have hsbc as an option
HSBC Netherlands: Personal Banking facilities are not available at this branch. Furthermore, the branch does not have cash or ATM facilities, nor can it process cheques or cards.

I guess I'll have to open an account in Beijing. It shouldn't be too difficult to do that, I hope.

Hi guys,

Am enrolled for Feb '12 intake. I should be arriving in Beijing, Feb 8th. To be honest, I'm excited yet extremely freaked out at what I've gotten myself into. I speak almost no Mandarin, can't read or write the language and yet I decided to pack up my life and move to a country where I'll be deaf and mute for hopefully just a short duration of my year in Beijing. I have yet to receive my admission package, I thankfully do have a tourist visa which I can convert later to a student visa. As of today, I still haven't done my physical. I do not know where I'll be staying, most probably off-campus, as I didn't get to register for the dorms. I have the utmost faith that everything will fall into place sooner or later, its just a little nerve-wracking! Anyhow, here's to starting the Dragon year with a big hello to all of you from Malaysia. Hope to see you guys in class.... :clap

Jess

I'm in Beijing now, fireworks still are going off from the New Year celebrations. I will be finding my own accomadation off campus due to having a peanut alergy and wanting to cook most of my own food to be safe rather than sorry. For those of you worries about the Visa, I was talking to the school before the new year break started and they said that you can change from an L visa to a study visa so I wouldn't worry about that. Remember you also have to apply for a residence permit within 30 days of lanidng in China.

We should organize a meet or something before school starts and go out for a dinner.

hello again everyone!

I read that some of you are looking for an off-campus accommodation. if you consider sharing an apartment with somebody else, please let me know. Im able to come to beijing just during the registration time (13-15 february) because of my university. and its really hard to look for accomodation in beijing from germany(( If anyone has a suggestion or advice for the best way to do it i would be really thankful!

Hi everyone,

I will also be starting the CLP @ Tsinghua and I am coming from the UK.

I didn't apply for dorm rooms so I will also be looking for off-campus accommodation once I get there on 13. February. It might be a little bit stressful for a few days to find a place, but no need for panic I don't think. Hopefully I can persuade my Beijing friend to help me find a nice place without having to pay too much!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Hi guys,

I am admitted to the CLP in February 2012 too! Hope to see you all in a couple of weeks. I am going to live in the dorms on campus, is anyone else here too?

What country are you from? I'm from the Netherlands and I still haven't received my admission package.

Chao Li Chen, where are you from in The Netherlands? It is a coincidence that I am from The Netherlands too.

Hi Fify,

I tried to send you a mesage, but it appears that your account can't use the message system. Probably due to not having sufficient posts on the forum. But I'm from Rotterdam and I will be leaving on February 9 from Schiphol and will fly via Frankfurt to Beijing. I have also reserved a dormitory but I haven't received any notification or confirmation yet. I don't think they're going to send a confirmation. I'm really looking forword to Beijing and meeting all of you!

Hi Fify,

I'll be staying at the dorm too, nice to meet u =)

I have also reserved a dormitory but I haven't received any notification or confirmation yet. I don't think they're going to send a confirmation.

Hi Chao Li Chen,

I heard that they will not send any confirmation, but you'll need your student id when you arrive at the dormitory

Hi Fify,

I tried to send you a mesage, but it appears that your account can't use the message system. Probably due to not having sufficient posts on the forum. But I'm from Rotterdam and I will be leaving on February 9 from Schiphol and will fly via Frankfurt to Beijing. I have also reserved a dormitory but I haven't received any notification or confirmation yet. I don't think they're going to send a confirmation. I'm really looking forword to Beijing and meeting all of you!

Hi Chao Li Chen,

I am leaving this Thursday already. I haven't received a conformation for the dorms either, and I can't get into the reservation page again. It is nice to have somebody from The Netherlands too!

Hi Fify,

I'll be staying at the dorm too, nice to meet u =)

Hi Dewi, its nice to meet you too!

When are most of the students arriving at Tsinghua?

Did you guys also signed in for the 'buddy' program?

hi everyone im arnold and i'll be attending tsinghua U for language program for a year, i should be arriving feb 10 does anyone arrives that day? maybe we can meet, actually i dont speak a word of mandarin but im pretty excited :)

about the accommodation, im loking for a room off campus, alexandra steel89 and watawaster do already found a place? maybe we all can fin a nice flat around the university, please let me know if anyone looking for an off campus flat wants to share, i think it's oging to be easier if we look for a flat for all, i've been searching for flats lately and there's plenty...

i thinkg its going to be a great year, have a good day and see you all soon...