Chinese-Forums

Learning Chinese in Portugal.

Maik

• New Members

Hey all, I'm looking forward to learn chinese and I live in Portugal.

Is anybody aware of possible teachers and/or chinese language schools in Portugal? I've searched around and the best I could find (the only place I could find, actually) was confucio's institute, which is pretty expensive and far from where I live.

So, if anybody has any clues on where to be taught, or, with luck, a teacher living in Portugal looks at this, please answer in this thread, I'm sure I'm not the only one searching for this :)

• Like 2

Instituto Confucio is actually a very good address, they are a quasi-governmental organisation setting up schools and examinations abroad, something like the Cervantes Institute for Spanish, or Goethe Institut for German.

Other than that, it doesn't seem like the Chinese-language boom has reached Portugal yet, there aren't many schools offering Chinese. Like you, I don't know of any.

Where do you live?

Sintra is still quite close to Lisbon, but it is a bit far to go there every week. Since Sintra has no universities (and thus no Chinese students), Lisbon will probably be your best option in any case, both for courses and meeting Chinese people.

I learned mostly on my own, but I started in Germany with a teacher and it's been many years since then. Here down south, there is virtually no interest in learning Chinese as far as I can tell.

• New Members

I'm still hoping to find someone willing to be a teacher, since there seem to be several chinese people around where I live. Maybe I could ask around?...

Oh, i see. I guess I really should starting guiding myself, then :) Thanks for your input!

Sure, but be careful -- not every Chinese person makes a good Chinese teacher (this applies to any language). They might have a heavy accent, or not know grammar very well, or have no idea how to explain it. A trained teacher will help you, especially in the beginning.

That said, sometimes you simply don't have an optimal environment, and will have to do with what you have. So if you go down that path, try to locate a Chinese person willing to teach, and read through this forum for tips on self-study.

BTW, NPCR is a fine set of textbooks, IMHO. It's a good choice. The videos from the DVD are all on youtube, too.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi! I'm studding at Confucius’s Institute in Lisbon and I really love it. Teachers are pretty good. Before attending this classes I’ve searched for other places, and you also have ISCTE (twice a week) and Escola Chinesa de Lisboa (Saturdays). I think the prices are quite cheap at Confucius; we pay €150 per semester. Oh, and I also live in Sintra. I know it’s quite uncomfortable to do the travel twice a week, especially if you can’t afford going by car, but I can tell you this classes are worthwhile. We’ll start the second semester next week, and I just can't wait for it. :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

@Bunny09 do you only want face to face class? I honestly have been having online classes since Covid and personally doesn’t feel like I miss anything and continue to have online classes until now. I have Italki teacher from China and also a private one who is based in London. If you are not opposed to online class there are a lot of options if they don’t have to be based in Portugal. 

• Like 1