Chinese-Forums

错别字 or witty puns?

xiaojiang216

I just visited 大山's recently updated website (dashan.com) and was confused by the banner at the top of the page:

"国际悠人,中西文化湿者,外语学习砖家大山的网上家园--'大山是歪国人但不是歪人'"

Are these just 错别字 or is there something punny going on here?

Thanks!

I wonder why other people can keep writing 童鞋 etc and Dashan should not have his share of the fun. (Not that I support writing words wrongly, but using 諧音 is part of the fun in Chinese. And you know that he has not just chosen the words randomly when you see 悠人 / 歪人.)

I bet a lot of elementary level Chinese learners are in that category

If Dashan had to limit his site, which is aimed at native Chinese speakers, to only contain content that could be understood by elementary level Chinese learners then it wouldn't be a very interesting site.

At the end of the day, he's a comedian (among other things). Comedy (or attempts at it) should not be unexpected on his site.

大山 recently posted this video about the character 侃. In the video, he says that he is "调侃自己" when he uses the slang term 砖家 to refer to himself. I understand that 悠人, 砖家, and 歪人 are being used in such a way, but I was kind of thrown off when I saw them written on a very official-looking banner on his website. I don't really get the 湿者 one, though.

"What's that Mr Taxi Driver? Have I heard of Dashan? Oh, his Chinese is really good, is it? Well let me tell you, Mr Canadian-Sinologue-Loving Taxi Driver, that I have here a print-out . . .let me just unfold this, it's gotten kinda ragged . . . that I think you might find quite illuminating. . . now if you'll just look at this, right above the big blockhead's grinning mugshot. . . sorry about the tears, I've been showing this around a lot, y'see . . you'll see right there conclusive evidence . . ."

• Like 2