Chinese-Forums

Introducing Hanzi Grids - A tool for creating printable worksheets for handwriting practice

imron

Yes, I would love to do that. Unfortunately licensing such a font for embedding in PDF files costs hundreds or possibly even thousands of dollars (depending on the font) and although it's possible to create PDFs with non-embedded fonts, I'm currently running into a few problems doing that. Hopefully that will be resolved before too long and font selection will be possible.

In any case, you can still print out blank grids for your own 行书 practice.

Looks very good and I will start using it immediately. Thank you!

I'd love to hear about them so I can get them fixed

When I switch from portrait to landscape the "visible characters" bar doesn't extend correspondingly to fill the empty spaces, though perhaps this is intentional.

Nice! I just registered, but when I'd confirmed my account and tried to log in, I got an error saying my password was wrong. I'm quite sure I didn't get my password wrong, but I hit "reset" all the same. I reset my password and then a page appeared inviting me to log in again, but when I did so, I got another error message saying that particular link had expired. (This was within the website, not from my browser.) Now, when I go to http://www.hanzigrids.com/login, I still can't log in using the same username and password. Anything you can do? :)

Nice! I just registered, but when I'd confirmed my account and tried to log in, I got an error saying my password was wrong. I'm quite sure I didn't get my password wrong, but I hit "reset" all the same. I reset my password and then a page appeared inviting me to log in again, but when I did so, I got another error message saying that particular link had expired. (This was within the website, not from my browser.) Now, when I go to[/font]http://www.hanzigrids.com/login, I still can't log in using the same username and password. Anything you can do? :)

When I logged in for the first time, my browser automatically set the "username" to my email address. You have to enter the actual username you signed up with in that field. (Hope that helps.)

• Like 2

Hit the nail right on the head, thanks :) Imron, I'm using Google Chrome (16.0.1), but I'm guessing there will be other browsers that do this by default as long as you don't turn off autocompletion. But then you may not necessarily want to turn that feature off...

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback.

I'll make it so that either username or email will work for logging-in in a future version. That should hopefully sort things out.

Regarding the "visible characters" bar, I wasn't really sure of the best way to handle this. Basically I decided to go with keeping things set at the actual number the user had configured regardless of changes in layout/number of columns, rather than try to always use the same relative proportions of visible/dimmed/invisible. The problem with the proportional approach is if you change the grid size to be really large (e.g. only 4 columns), you lose that fidelity, and then when you shrink it back down again you'd have a larger number of characters visible than perhaps you wanted. That was my major reasoning to making sure they stay at their fixed value (unless a reduction in columns forces the number to reduce).

I'm sure I could probably come up with some tricky logic to make sure it worked more intuitively, and may do that in a future version if anyone has some good suggestions on what the preferred behaviour should be.

Also another quick tip. The more recent your browser, the faster Hanzi Grids will run. Firefox 3.0 and Internet Explorer 8.0 are probably about as low as you can go and still be reasonably usable (albeit a bit sluggish). Any of the more recent versions of Chrome/Safari/Firefox/Opera will run it quite snappily - but Opera has really poor handling of Chinese fonts, so what you see in the browser window might not reflect what you see in the generated PDF.