Chinese-Forums

2012 CCTV Chinese New Year Show - save the date!

roddy

It turns out, after all my whining, that I'm actually not going to be at home Sunday. Even worse, I'm not sure I'm even going to have internet access. So I might end up calling roddy and asking for a real-time narration. Sigh.

So don't worry about me, but have fun at the ball everyone!

Yes I wonder what the pride-in-the-New-China's-progress thing will be this year. No trains, no reason for more astronauts. Aircraft carrier?

...or bloggers?

At any rate, I'm not watching, but let me know what the pride-in-the-New-China's-progress thing turns out to be.

Why doesn't China have a nationwide countdown similar to the NYC Times Square countdown?

Wouldn't it be nice if the show showcases the different celebrations across different cities (live news feed) in China? Or is this impossible because everyone is at home? Eating dumplings and watching this show.

I also notice that the venue is quite small considering how high-profile this event is. Why don't they use the Bird's Nest or Wukesong Gym as a venue instead?

A lot of aspects of life in China has been influenced by the west but this yearly gala is still very old school. Why is that?

I'm ignorant when it comes to mainland celebrities, are those in the comedy skits popular people?

Good thing there's a Wiki article on this show, makes me understand it more.

Wouldn't it be nice if the show showcases the different celebrations across different cities (live news feed) in China?

These have been playing for the last day or two on other channels. Many this year have featured dragon dances. A couple cities (I think Jilin, Changchun was one) had jiaozi making competititons as well.

Thought there would be live reports on the gala in here by now. Did everyone fall asleep already?

It was alternately tacky and boring. I turned it off about 10 p.m. It was a huge disappointment this year. I've watched it annually for about 5 years and this was by far the worst, in my opinion. I also disliked that it was so heavy on lame comic skits and pseudo-comptetitive banter between the hosts.

Of course, it's possible that all the great acts came after 10 p.m., but I kind of doubt it.

I'm ignorant when it comes to mainland celebrities, are those in the comedy skits popular people?

Many of them are, such as the two older guys dressed in dynasty costumes doing the skit with the director in which the one playing the emperor could not remember his lines. They are a regualr fixture on these New Year Gala shows. Sorry, but I cannot remember their names just now.

It was alternately tacky and boring.

I'm so glad I didn't have my Chinese School students watch any of it in class today. We had a very nice lesson on New Years customs and greetings, without any mention of the Gala.

Did Da Shan show up or did he get axed like everyone else?