Chinese-Forums

Kunming Fashion Report

abcdefg

Good news for all you Gentlemen Fashionistas out there. This winter the shop windows in Kunming have been full of amazing new wardrobe items. I recall Putonghua73 expressing disappointment at clothing choices here, so this notice is partly for his edification.

A dazzling array of colors is now available in men's jackets and coats. You can have any color you want as long as it is black. Well, let me not overstate that; I have seen some deep gray and some ugly turdmuckledun brown as well.

But fear not, since spring is just around the corner, shops are daily acquiring sparkling new merchandise. As it goes on display, I was happy to note that most of it is also black, especially the men's outerwear items. Guys can, of course, don red socks or red underpants as celebratory requirements dictate.

I strongly suspect a secret government edict to the effect that Kunming's male population should remain in mourning throughout the year. Gladly, it is permissible for the younger women to wear other more cheerful apparel. Since everybody here is still in long underwear, one still cannot enjoy the sight of shapely girls with bare legs strolling the streets.

(For the sake of clarity I will plainly state that this is a piece of satire, not totally factual reporting.)

For cars, do you also have the choice of black, black, or black?

Lots of silver cars here as well as white. Those and the black ones are mostly sedans. The very small two or three person economy cars, most often purchased as a first step up from an electric scooter by a younger white collar worker, can be quite bright. One often sees neon lime green or "safety yellow" for example.

As Bill Mollison says, the problem is always the solution.

All that black just means that those of us who are so inclined can easily stand out from the crowd. From sartorial elegance to Neil Strauss type extreme peacocking, this means that we have so much more opportunity to impress those stunners who want to more than 'cry in a benz'.

Of course, you will not find me at Salvador's sausage factory, acting as if I am propping up a Pattya beer bar. I'll be scouting far better locations, advertising my desirabilty to tens and above only. Unfortunately, I am going to be away for a while, as I have a few real estate projects to investigate in Naypyidaw, but I'll be happy to take you under my wing when I get back, and share a few of my hard earned secrets.