Chinese-Forums

非常了得

feihong

I find myself watching this show sometimes after I've already seen the current week's 非诚勿扰. Is anybody else a fan of this show? I'm not going to claim it's amazing, but it's pretty funny. 孟非 and 郭德钢 have pretty good chemistry as the two hosts.

For those of you who've never seen it, it's basically a show about detecting liars. Each contestant gets to select one of several people with tall tales to tell, and they have to guess whether a given story is true or false. They are given the opportunity to ask questions, and they're allowed to solicit the advice of two commentators who sit on the side. Meanwhile the contestant is usually getting heckled by the two hosts, who generally aren't taking things very seriously.

One thing it has going for it over 非诚勿扰 is that it's a bit harder to understand. The kind of interrogation that contestants do can get pretty detailed, and the range of topics is wider. That said, sometimes the stories aren't so terribly interesting when considered on their own terms.

• Like 2

There was a recent 返场 episode that I thought was especially good. I'm not quite sure what date it aired, but it was quite recent. My guess is January 4.

UPDATE: Yes, it's the January 4 episode with 苏苏苏 and the overenthusiastic English teacher. Totally worth seeing, although not necessarily representative of the show as a whole. Also, thanks to Kenny for the correction.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm becoming a fan just this weekend. Watched several shows on youtube. Funny hosts, sexy and smart special guest, intriguing stories, intellegent challengs to identify the lies... All these make the show very entertaining.

I never liked 非诚勿扰 though. I tried a few times and couldn't get through more than 10 minutes. I think that means 非常了得 offers something very different from 非诚勿扰.

非常了得,fei chang lio de is an EXCELLENT show for learners of chinese...they cover a full range of topics because of the variety of the guests 'professions'..., it is funny and interesting, has clear subtitles, and because it involves natural conversation...

i thought i was the only learner who was watching that show...apparently not

Like I said last time, I'm just becoming a fan this weekend. I watched several episodes and found its first ever episode, from last June, is particular interesting: it looks like "the age of innocence". Those contestants didn't know what they were supposed to do, acting like fools.

I'm amazed how people quickly picked up the game and are becoming increasingly sophisticated. Comparing the show from half year ago, it's almost like watching the process of evolution.

The expert 姜振宇 was a strong helping hand with his unique expertise, while in later episodes when facing more sophisticated lies/liars, his knowledge often appears useless and not quite so fit. He handled the embarrassment and frustration well. :)

The other special guest, 柳岩, asked silly questions and didn't help much. But she must be a smart girl. In later episodes, her woman's instinct becomes an effective weapon, and she's earned a title "Encyclopaedia Yan". In one game, she even felt the game was too easy and played her puppet toy to kill time instead.

Great recommendation! I found this show to be really interesting. I couldn't understand the instrunctions they gave at the beginning, but it was really easy to follow and pick up on once it got started. What I really enjoy is the variety in topics. Also, as some others were commenting, the stories can be quite sophisticated. I'm curious how long they practice them before going on.

非常了得 for the people who are not in china and are able to access youtube....here you go...

bigtvusa's channel>

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C9EC3B9C15B00C4&feature=plcp

phoeguo's channel>

http://www.youtube.com/user/phoeguo?blend=1&ob=0#g/c/916923FFD942F4B3

I watched several episodes and found its first ever episode, from last June, is particular interesting: it looks like "the age of innocence". Those contestants didn't know what they were supposed to do, acting like fools.

I'm amazed how people quickly picked up the game and are becoming increasingly sophisticated. Comparing the show from half year ago, it's almost like watching the process of evolution.

Here is the first episode on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVX24Vd7AI

The worst line of questioning is towards the person who claimed to have interned at the White House. Painful, but also amusing. I also wish 郭老师 would be a little quieter.

This is definitely an enjoyable show and a good change of pace from 非诚无扰. Thanks for the tip.