Chinese-Forums

Missing Person

JoJo2c

lukoktonos I cant work out weibo?

Roddy and eveyone else let please read below to remind you all to call home regulary. no matter what your family loves you keep that in mind. It is easy to get lost in your everydays and not call your loved ones back home.

Silent- Yes there is always a choice and Rex is free to live his life. Rex is registered with the Australian Government as a missing person (DFAT) regardless of whatever his doing, Rex's family just want to know he is ok. They are elderly and not knowing his ok is impacting their well being. Please see the orginal post for more information. I have no idea as to why you would write " Is there any guarantee that this really comes from his family and not from someone with obscure motives?" Butu i can assure you this is a real person and his real family.

Everyone: Yesterday My Uncle broke down and has become inconsolable he is 79yrs old. He cried all day. This is a proud man who would not normally do this in his entire life. He has taken ill and now needs to go into hospital for tests. My Aunt became angry and upset as well, I am very worried about them so much that i and his sister cried yesterday as well. Is this a fair thing to do to your parents? NO IT ISNT!

SO as a reminder to those of you who are working overseas and have left family behind CALL HOME AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH! don't leave your family wondering if your ok?

If anyone knows how to work weibo please share the info and the links above with everyone you know.. and if you do see Rex tell him to call home!

• Like 2

I have no idea as to why you would write " Is there any guarantee that this really comes from his family and not from someone with obscure motives?" Butu i can assure you this is a real person and his real family.

Why I would write something like that? Because reality is that every once in a while people pose to be loving and caring relatives/friends to get information on people while in reality they're only interested in settling a bill. Sometimes an actual financial bill, sometimes they want revenge for some perceived 'injustice' (happened to me once after uncovering some fraud in a forum) or whatever kind of score to settle or benefit to gain. This kind of behavior is so common they invented the name 'social engineering' for it.

Sure, oftentimes, probably most by a large margin, of the time such requests are genuine. However, when not the consequences for the person sought may be dear. Consequently I'm reluctant to help unless some clear proof is provided.

Silent I do not know how to prove to you that this is real and not some way to settle something. Maybe i am to innocent to believe that people would do as you describe. I am the type of person that still has a belief in human kind and would rather believe the better of someone than to be mistrustful. That is probably my undoing in a lot of things in my life but i still try to believe that people are genuine no matter my life experiences prior. It is sad that you have been burnt to the point that you feel that way.

I can only say to you as i said before this is a real situation not one to create opportunity. It's ok if you dont believe me, the only thing that counts here is that I know this is real and not manufactured. The police and the Australian Government know this is real as well.

The pressure and stress my family is under at the moment does not need to be added to. all we need to know is that Rex is alive & well. Where he is and what he is doing does not concern me. we dont care about that. What my family members are doing or not doing is up to them and it doesnt matter. All that matters is the well being of your family.

So if you do know something then please feel free to go to the Australian Embassy in the country you are in and give them the information. The Australian Embassy in China is well aware of the situation. I doubt that someone who is manufacturing a story would have police reports that have been passed on to the government. If we were not his family we would not be able to make the report.

And if you do know Rex or if Rex you are reading this, then he/you NEED TO GO TO THE EMBASSY WITH ID/ PASSPORT.

• Like 1

And if you do know Rex or if Rex you are reading this, then he/you NEED TO GO TO THE EMBASSY WITH ID/ PASSPORT.

I don't know him so there's no issue here.

If I did I would inform him about the search and leave it up to him to decide what to with it. I might even inform you (depending on the situation) about passing the info so you know that it's by choice if he doesn't choose to contact you, but that's as far as I would go. I don't see any reason to do anything more and plenty of reasons to leave it at that.

• Like 3

In case of doubt, it still wouldn't hurt to pass on this information on weibo etc, with the message that Rex' parents really want to hear from him and would he please call home at number so-and-so or email to this-or-that address. That should help find him while leaving him the choice.

• 1 month later...

I think if this is a very serious concern, it will definitely be possible to track him down through the government visa records. They have records on every visa applicant in their data base, including where he/she was registered last.

The tougher part would be how to get access to this - but if you fly here, make a few friends and promise one of them some money if he can get one of his cousins to quickly check in the computer, I am sure thats possible.

But then thats a lot of work, time and money. Via the internet, I think that would be pretty hard.

But did you try out that "contact me button" mentioned earlier? that sounded like quite a good opportunity....

Have you tried the Red Cross. They are well known for finding missing people. I am rather confused as to why you are so worried as it has only been 10 months according to your original post.

As has been said he is an adult and unless you have any concerns about his wellbeing there doesn't seem to be any need to contact him. he must be aware of the age and health of his parents and will ring home when he feels he needs to.

Its a shame you feel the need to take this on your self, but best wishes

Shelley

• 2 months later...

@JoJo2c,

I just stumbled upon this thread. I live in Chengdu and know a number of foreigners in town, including several English teachers.

Hopefully you've gotten in touch with Rex over the last few months. If he's still missing, though, send me a picture and information about him. I could help you make some inquiries. Best of luck, in any case.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...