Chinese-Forums

P90X and "Insanity Workout"

kdavid

But: an alternative theory blames refined carbohydrates. And my problem is that I think that would include white rice and noodles? But these have been staples in Asia for ages and obesity hasn't tended to be a problem until recently.
The science is still unsettled, but most people find if they are overweight and cut out sugar/refined carbs they lose weight.

Even if you eat those, portion size is very important. Eating a little rice in sushi is different than eating a family size bag of Doritos or a quart of ice cream. There's also been some research showing that different people may have different intestinal flora, so the foods they can process are different.

It shouldn't be forgotten that being able to easily add fat (store energy) was probably an evolutionary advantage early on.

It shouldn't be forgotten that being able to easily add fat (store energy) was probably an evolutionary advantage early on.

That's just a guess. It might be a disadvantage: if people got fat they couldn't escape from predators!

Hence the 'was probably'.

• 2 months later...

Is it rude to mention that, a couple of months ago, not long after commenting on this topic, and reading up a bit*, I went on a diet for the first time, it involved eating high-fat low-carbs, and in six weeks lost 18 pounds to move from being a bit overweight to being normal weight, never once feeling hungry or uncomfortable, and actually eating more calories each day than I was beforehand, while doing only occasional exercise. Whole process was a complete mind-changer and I feel so sorry now when I see overweight people doing exercise in the hope that it will make them skinny, such a waste of time and emotion for them.

*http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bo16.htm

I've lost 20 pounds since I started this post ~10 weeks ago.

I've started the P90X workout, and am doing it in conjunction with Insanity.

Aside from being active, the other main life style change was diet. I eat smaller portions now, and skip the sweets (most days).

While I have "before" photos, I'm still a bit bashful. Perhaps once I finish the first cycle of P90X I'll post them.

Well, if realmayo merely looks skinny, and kdavid looks skinny and fit, I'd say exercising definitely has benefits :mrgreen:

Eskimos are not known for living long healthy lives, are they? Okinawa people are. (this about diets.)

Imron, I agree that exercise has benefits, & I believe the famous Dr Atkins told his disciples that 'if you're not doing exercise you're not doing Atkins'. But I think a lot those people who take up exercise to lose weight, and then fail to lose weight over a long period, end up stopping exercise. The fact that I now get on my bicycle because I want to, rather than because I feel I must in order to lose weight, makes my cycling so much more pleasant.

Of course for lots of people it works great! Look at kdavid above. But for lots of others, it doesn't.

I used to assume the statement "burn more calories than you take in" made sense, and it was a real shock to discover from a theoretical point of view backed up by my own experience that it's an absurd statement. I also used to be maybe a tiny bit sneery (privately) about people who didn't knuckle down and lose weight, but now understand why that's a stupid thing to expect too.

Eskimos are not known for living long healthy lives, are they? Okinawa people are. (this about diets.)

1. I'd imagine your average hunter-gatherer Eskimo lives a rather tougher life than your average Okinawan.

2. You should read about Vilhjalmur Stefansson -- here's a snippet from Wikipedia:

Stefansson documented the fact that the Inuit diet consisted of about 90% meat and fish; Inuit would often go 6 to 9 months a year eating nothing but meat and fish—essentially, a no-carbohydrate diet. He found that he and his fellow European-descent explorers were also perfectly healthy on such a diet. When medical authorities questioned him on this, he and a fellow explorer agreed to undertake a study under the auspices of the Journal of the American Medical Association to demonstrate that they could eat a 100% meat diet in a closely observed laboratory setting for the first several weeks, with paid observers for the rest of an entire year. The results were published in the Journal, and both men were perfectly healthy on such a diet, without vitamin supplementation or anything else in their diet except meat and entrails.

Well it doesn't feel like a diet per se I guess because the only rule is to cut out refined carbohydrates, cut down on other carbs, and replace them with fats -- and the great thing with fat is that not only is it good for you, it it makes you feel full unlike carbs which make you (well, me) feel hungry. The stricter "diet" part is just to lose the weight you want to lose, which I've done. I guess the long-term plan would be a modest amount of complex carbs alongside plenty of animal fats, a regular amount of protein, and loads of vegetables. Kind of turning the "food pyramid" on its head.

Those links above merely show that carbohydrates aren't necessary for a healthy diet: I'm not actually gorging myself on seal entrails each morning! :)

I went back on carbs for a recent trip to Germany which I knew would involve lots of beer and potatoes, and will be back again for a couple of weeks in Asia which will involve lots of beer and rice! But for most of the year and for most of the future I want to keep them limited, partly because I think there's a good chance they are bad for us, partly because of the weight thing, but also because the change of diet made me feel great: some of that could be placebo effect, but often in the past I used to feel tired and find it extremely difficult to concentrate on studying and other stuff an hour or two after eating a meal -- that post-eating dip was entirely done away with once I stopped the carbs.

I don't know about China, but I understand a common and common-sense way to lose a bit of weight in South-East Asia has always been to temporarily stop eating rice -- which, given that rice is traditionally the main carb source, is basically a low-carb diet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I completed the full Insane 60 day workout!

(And then got caught up in work travel and haven't worked out for over 2 weeks now... *sigh*)

The end result was that I'm down 7kg overall since I started my diet plan at the beginning of the year. 3kg from dieting, and 4kg from the insanity workout.

I really liked the workout. Towards the end of the second month, I was getting more adjusted to the higher level, and I felt like I was getting better results out of it. I lost more towards the end of the month than I did in the beginning.

I had planned to just repeat the last two weeks over and over again to maintain an exercise level and hopefully keep up the progress, but it's hard to get into a routine when you're living in a hotel room the size of a sardine can...

I never did get my full six-pack that I was shooting for... towards the end of the program it was looking good, but now that I've rested a couple weeks I feel like my shape has regressed a little. My weight hasn't changed, which is good, but the muscle tone isn't as apparent any more... (or maybe that's just what I imagine)

My friend says the exercise has had quite an obvious effect on my body though, and she's as giddy as ever. I suppose that's where the results really matter though.

I'm not sure I'll start any other programs anytime soon though... I felt like an hour a day of cardio workout was about all I could manage.

• Like 1