Chinese-Forums

massage vocab?

victor557

Thank you abcdefg :) Just simple stuff such as the most common massages they offer, and the general intructions they might give during the course of the massage. For example, I remember they said "过来“ meaning "come over", and they said other stuff which I didn't understand. Might be stuff like "left your feet" or "spread your arms" of etc..... or whatever. and i guess they'd ask things like whether something hurts or not etc. Basically, i just want to understand and be able to respond to the most likely things they would say (i didn't understand much of what was going on last time).

First of all, there are two types of massage parlours. There's the legit kind that (I assume) you're interested in, where they'll actually give you a massage. Then there's the kind of place that's more or less just a front for prostitution. Back when my Chinese was a lot worse, I managed to end up in a massage parlour of the latter variety. My back was really sore, and I really wanted a nice, proper, massage. Unfortunately, it quickly became clear that the girl thought I wanted a "helping hand." After my desperate plea of 不不不不, she instead started to rather lamely knead my thighs for the remainder of the time. That's easily the worst and most expensive massage I've had in China, but at least I left with my dignity intact.

Okay, here's some simple vocab for you:

全身按摩 - full-body (clothed) massage

按摩脚 - foot massage

疼 - pain

These three should take you far. Good luck!

• Like 1

thanks a lot for all the info. this is exactly the stuff i needed to know. my god... if they'd have said '打飞机' i'd have been totally confused wondering why the hell they're talking about airplanes :)

so i can go to a place and say "我要一个按摩脚“ and i'll just get a simple foot massage, right?

I have only had massage in Thailand and Cambodia so I don't really know much about it.

But regarding abcdefg's post -

"钟 means "unit of time" - I think 鐘 simply means "hour", not unit of time. It is not an uncommon way to call an hour, at least in HK.

And to lie face up is 躺着 .

"修脚。Literally means “repair the feet” - my interpretation is different. I think it means 修飾 to beautify. Same usage for 修眉/修甲/修頭髮.

But of couse these does not really matter.

PS - 按摩高(X) 按摩膏(O)

• Like 1

Thanks @Skylee. I sure did type the wrong 躺。I will go back and correct it now so as not to confuse future readers.

When I lived in Zhuhai, 钟 seemed to just be short for 钟头 and definitely was always an hour. And it is in Kunming as well most of the time. But I sometimes stop for an outdoor chair massage on 南平街 here where the time unit is 20 minutes, and they also refer to that as 一个钟。Of course, that may just be matter of local custom.

I'll bet you are right about 修脚。Since my old beat up feet are well past beautification, I didn't even think of that meaning.

I thought that 按摩膏 used the same 膏 character as toothpaste, 牙膏。Did I get that wrong? Oh, I see now. Another typo. I will go back and fix that too. Thanks again.

some very valuable information, thank you for the posts.

i went to the place last night, and encountered at least half the vocab that abcdefg mentioned. the place seemed legit, but with the full-body massage, it looks like some "special service" comes standard. when it started to get “interesting”, i needed to say 不要特殊服务 (buyao4 te4shu1 fu2wu4), meaning i don't need special service. the girl understood immediately and there was no confusion.

as abcdefg mentioned, it was a fantastic opportunity to practice my chinese. i think the staff are bored, and are curious about chatting with a foreigner. they were willing to speak slowly where necessary and i managed to have some decent conversation. so it was like a massage with a simultaneous chinese lesson :) i think i'll go for a foot massage every week. it's relatively cheap, relaxing, and i can improve my chinese.

Life is short. Don't need to always say no to "special services" when they are offered.

Here is a short "English Menu" that I helped the boss of a small neighborhood massage place write last year so he would be prepared for foreign clients. It is simple and there might be something useful there, so I'll attach it.

XIAO WU MASSAGE PRICE LIST 小武推拿价目1.doc

• Like 1

Well, at least here, paying someone to do that is illegal, so it would count. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but....

Maybe we should even start a pole on which 按摩小姐 we like the most.

I'd certainly like to see them on a pole.....

Stupid question. Is that place in #6 legit? I would assume not, since they don't show the faces of the 小姐 and they emphasize their attractiveness. Not to mention that it states they come to you. But it's so blatant, it just surprises me.