Chinese-Forums

Online French crash course

skylee

Decades ago I spent like a year or two studying French on weekends at l’Alliance Francaise in Hong Kong. I’ve never really managed to speak the language or attained a meaningful level. But I can count the numbers and I know the words of the most basic things like water, bread, pencil, je ne sai pas, je ne parle pas francais, l’addition svp, etc.

I am going to take a two-week vacation in France in April and I think wouldn’t it be wonderful if I could speak a bit of the language there. (Though last time I was in France (2008) it seemed that most people there could speak at least a little bit of English.)

So I wonder if anyone could point me to an online crash course on French or something similar. I’ve just found this but not sure if it is any good -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/

I am quite lazy and have not studied any languages for a long time so I am not sure if this little wish would materialise. The last language I studied was Korean. I read a self-study booklet for a few months before travelling there on my own and the knowledge on the language was helpful.

Have you considered the Pimsleur course? Expensive but might be able to borrow it from a library. All audio and the focus on speaking might help some of the vocab you already know "click" into position. I haven't ever use the French Pimsleur, but I've used their Vietnamese and Korean ones.

Don't do the Frenchpod if it came from Chinesepod, one time I signed up for that and I did not like it at all. And whoever did Frenchpodcasts quit, so I ended up asking for a refund. The only French course I ever liked was the textbook and DVD series French in Action, it used to be broadcast on public television here, but it can be too intense for some.

Actually, if you're going to France anyway, and already have some knowledge, I'd consider getting a decent phrasebook with a tape and working through that before you go. That'll bring back a lot of forgotten knowledge, teach you useful new stuff, and be handy on your trip. Win-win-win (仨赢?)

When I started this thread I thought about online resources only. Thank you all for suggesting other resources. When I returned home I found that right on a shelf in my sitting room there was an almost brand new set of "French All The Way"(a book with 8 cassette tapes (!)). And I have found in a bag of garbage below my desk a Sony Walkman (!) that plays cassettes. If both the machine and the tapes work I think I have a French course right at home.

Thank you simplet for the links.