Chinese-Forums

List of word frequency

roddy

Does anyone know of any lists of word frequency for Chinese? The kind of thing that tells you that 的 is the most common Chinese word, 今天 is the 97th, and 麟 is the 1054th?

Note, I'm not looking for character frequency, but word frequency.

I guess an HSK vocab list would be a step in the right direction - presumably the words at the lower levels are more frequent.

Roddy

Sorry, I don't know of a word frequency list - but do you mean that you already know of a character frequency list (on the web preferably)? If so, I'd be interested to know where.

As for the HSK, I guess you are right. But they also seem to be quite selective about the vocab they use. I don't have the list to hand, but I remember that dentist wasn't on there (although doctor was), for example.

No, I have never seen one. I think you would be lucky to find that. It is too complex to put together and would be based too much on peoples own opinions and language styles rather than researchable evidence.

As you say, there are many character frequency lists.

As long as you can master 90% of the contents of an HSK dictionary then you will be fine.

JoH, go to Zhongwen.com and click on Character frequency under Vocabulary - it's the best I know of.

I got some clues here - but it looks like most of the stuff is for characters only and the HSK word lists are still the best bet (unless you want to do something daft like actually pay for a book).

Roddy

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, the corpora search engine in that first link is pretty cool. That will certainly come in handy some day if I want to search for real-life sentence examples without stuffing around on Google. Cheers! :clap

tooironic: Wow, the corpora search engine in that first link is pretty cool.

I got the English examples to work. I tried some pinyin which worked. Is it possible to use Chinese characters in a corpus search other than simple words or characters. If so how about an example. I always wished Google would implement something like this.

xiele,

Jim

Maybe the issue is that you need put word breaks in the search terms. Unfortunately, it doesn't find a match if the words are not segmented the same way as the corpus. The corpus is segmented programmatically, so it may not be 100% perfect, either.