Chinese-Forums

Chinese Art Movies

Steingletscher

The second list doesn't necessarily contain just art movies, but any Chinese movie that I've come across and either have watched or plan to watch. I was too lazy to remove the ones that aren't "art house" (a term I don't feel like debating).

Here are a few, which I have added the links to as well. However, don't click (or read all the way down) if you don't want to know the entire story line:

五魁 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wooden_Man's_Bride

愛情萬歲 Vive L'Amour http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vive_L'Amour (edit: I just noticed Gato already added Vive L'Amour before I could get to it! Anyway, it's 'different', but interesting)

春光乍洩 Happy Together http://en.wikipedia....ther_(1997_film)

Also, you can probably visit this thread for more general Chinese movie suggestions: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/27230-what-was-the-last-chinese-film-you-watched/

Just ordered four movie DVDs at Amazon: The Emperor and the Assassin, Lust Caution, Eat, Drink, Man, Woman and Hero. I tried the other suggestions made by gato but they were either unavailable or super expensive. What does it mean when Amazon offers DVDs for $100 - $400? Anyway, my thanks to Steingletscher and gato for the great suggestions.

JBradfor: I will probably subscribe to Netflix for the streaming service. There's a month free trial and the movie i badly want to see (and that i highly recommend here) is Of gods and men (Des hommes et des dieux). This is only available at Netflix through their mailing service. I don't quite understand this and started to wonder that the movies i might be interested in would always be offered by the service i had not subscribed to.

Edit: it sounds rather arrogant to "highly recommend" a movie that i haven't seen yet. So, let me rephrase it to say that i have heard interesting things about this movie

One of my favourite movies is 青红 (Shanghai Dreams). By the same director, there is 日朝重庆 (Chongqing Blues).

盲山 (Blind Mountain) was absolutely terrifying and highly disturbing (if you like that type of movie).

At random, I picked up a movie called 米香 which left a surprisingly strong impression with me. I don't think it's had a release abroad.

最爱 (Love for life) and 立春 (And the spring comes).

If you want movies that are in fact artsy, I think you should take a very careful look at Taiwanese movies, e.g., 最好的时光 (Three Times). I fell asleep after about 20 minutes (but then, maybe it'd be better with English subtitles...). There are very many artsy Taiwanese movies that I rarely watch because they tend to have quite a bit of Taiwanese in them.

• 3 years later...
  • New Members

@character

Thank you! I'm so glad to finally find an online store that sells Chinese Art house films! I went onto Yesasia.com yesterday and found lot's of festival winning and nominated titles. I'm very excited with my future date appointments with excellent cinema!

• New Members

I'm a big fan of Chinese Arthouse films. Such quality and depth of humanity. One of my favourite all time movies from China is probably 'The King of Masks' (Wu Tianming), a real tear jerker and amazing performances and cinematography. 'Raise the Red Lantern' (Zhang Yimou) is another strong contender. Films by Chen Kaige are all great! Even his smaller human focused dramas are sensitive and elegant to the tee. His 'King of the Children' was nominated for a Palm d'or in 88'. Here's my list:

Apart Together (Tuan Yuan)  - Wang Quan'an.

The Post Modern Life of my Aunt - Ann Hui

Shower - Zhang Yang

Raise the Red Lantern - Zhang Yimou

The King of Masks - Wu Tianming

Getting Home - Zhang Yang

Forever Entralled - Chen Kaige

Black Coal, Thin Ice - Diao Yi Nan

Blind Massage - Lou Ye

Old Well - Wu Tianming

In the Mood For Love - Wong Kar Wai

Wayward Cloud - Tsai Ming Liang

A Time to Live, A Time to Die - Hou Hsiao Hsien

Four Ways to Die in My Hometown - Chai Chunya

By the way, are there any online stores (other than yesasian.com)  that sell art house asian movies? 

• 1 month later...

I saw "The Assassin" a few days ago. A lot of beautiful images, but not very good as a drama. The dialog is sparse and in 文言文 and therefore unnatural. There are long moments of no dialog at all. A very quiet movie. Easy to fall sleep in the darkness of the theater, especially if you watch after lunch.