Chinese-Forums

Smoking in A13 HIT 哈工大

Mactuary

Back to your example, if everyone was noisy, then I would not suggest that you ask your roommates to keep quiet, because in that case clearly being noisy is the norm there, and you should adjust. However, if only one person is noisy, and everyone else is quiet, then even in the absence of a rule, I would ask that person to be quiet and follow the social norms.

I don't really agree with this argument. Certainly, if "everyone" is noisy, or smokes, then it presents a practical difficulty in getting them to change their behaviour, but that does not mean that the minority that is a victim to the antisocial behaviour is not justified in seeking a change.

After all, social norms only change when they are challenged, at first by a few 出头鸟. As another example, it wasn't all that long ago that interracial marriage contravened social norms. If your "you should adjust" to social norms attitude were adopted by everybody, then interracial marriage would still be a taboo. Fortunately, some people were brave enough to challenge social norms, and as I'm sure you'd agree, has resulted in progress in people's attitudes.

In the same way, just because a large number of people smoke or make a noise with disregard for its effect on others, it doesn't mean that such a selfish attitude should persist indefinitely. Perhaps if enough people complain about antisocial behaviour in the building mentioned by the OP, the authorities might actually take some action to enforce their own rules.

Update, I've been in my new room for two days and one night and everything is just swell. Not much goes on this floor, which is just to my liking. The place is clean, the roommate is the best ever and the weather is warming up. Let's hope things just get better from here.

I don't really agree with this argument. Certainly, if "everyone" is noisy, or smokes, then it presents a practical difficulty in getting them to change their behaviour, but that does not mean that the minority that is a victim to the antisocial behaviour is not justified in seeking a change. After all, social norms only change when they are challenged, at first by a few 出头鸟.

I agree with your 200%. I have nothing but contempt for "social conservatives" that want to keep everything the same. It's the ultimate in narrow-mindedness (or being a product of your environment, take your pick!), because the attitude is basically "I was born at the apex of 'how things should be'. All past times were wrong, all future times (assuming things change....) are wrong, right now is perfect."

HOWEVER, in this case the OP is a guest in a foreign country. To me, that implies a different set of expectations on behavior. It is the difference between arguing with your family about what food you want to serve at dinner to be healthy, and being invited to someone elses house for dinner, and then berate them for their choice in food they serve you not being healthy enough.

P.S. Glad to hear the OP's situation is resolved.

• Like 1

HOWEVER, in this case the OP is a guest in a foreign country

When in Rome, do as the Vietnamese kids who are away from home for the first time and have no idea of how to behave do. That's my motto, and I'm sticking to it.

Less flippantly, even if these were Chinese people, and there weren't any non-smoking laws, it's entirely feasible that you could have a Chinese student in his room getting irritated by the other Chinese students outside smoking and going out to have a polite word. Equally valid social norm to follow.

I've moved to a really good floor, 6th floor. My room is at the end of the corridor so only one side is neighboured, they happen to be Korean girls and, from what I can tell, not much goes there other than intermittent giggling. I also walk up the stairs every time I go to my room, I think it's quite a good number of flights of stairs for the casual exercise even though I also go to the gym regularly.

I have found though that the stair ways at the ends of the corridors have become common smoking areas despite there being the only "no smoking" signs in the entire building. However, I'm not about to start complaining about this, especially considering what I had to deal with last time. I'm in such a good place right now.

But I just wonder about how long it will take China to enforce the rules they set. There are so many things that just doesn't make any sense, hence also endless sources of fun for me, that is unimaginable in Australia.

I have high expectations of the Chinese language program that I'm doing, and I hope that by the end of the year I will have become fluent enough for deep conversations, listen/reading to the news and then perhaps start asking questions...

By the way I'm getting a physical checkup tomorrow, would I need to fast? As I understand it fasting is only done for cholesterol, diabetes etc checkup, and won't affect diseases such as aids, syphilis etc. I don't want to skip breakfast if I don't need to.

Also another observation, people excrete bodily fluids from their mouths and noses even in the shopping malls. I just thought that was very extreme.

@jbradfor : well the other people are also only guests in a foreign country so I wouldn't say that he isn't right in asking them to stop smoking. (I smoke myself but stopped smoking at home 4 years ago and now really hate the smell of smoke at home and could never live with someone that is smoking in the appartment)

@Mactuary: No you don't need to fast, they will make a checkup which isn't worth much. maybe don't eat anything too sugary :)

About the spiting, well most chinese when they see you put a used tissue into a pocket it has the same effect as them spitting has on you, they think it is extremely gross. But here the cultural accepted norms are also changing, for example my girlfriend tells me to spit into a gutter and not simply on the street (and no I am not chinese but I still like to spit sometimes :D)

By the way I'm getting a physical checkup tomorrow, would I need to fast?

I disagree with #27 regarding your checkup, even though I don't know exactly what test you will have done.

If it were me, I wouldn't eat after midnight. Unsweetened tea or water is OK. Food may influence the chemistry results and cause them to suggest the presence of problems that you don't really have. Then you will need additional testing to sort it out. Extra bother.

Best to skip breakfast and do it right the first time round in my opinion. Take some food along and just eat it right after the blood sample is drawn.