Chinese-Forums

What is the HSK?

Guest Gregory

Pardon my ignorance, but what is HSK and how does one apply for it? Also, is it available in England? We have GCSE here but I've never heard of HSK.

Regards,

Gregory

[edit]I split this of from another topic, as I think we might get some very useful information for beginners here. Roddy[/edit]

HSK = Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi or Chinese Proficiency Test.

HSK is separated into three different levels, beginner, elementary-intermediate, and advanced.

HSK is available in 30 nations worldwide, I'm almost positive that England is one of them.

When you pass HSK, you receive a certificate and it's helpful, if not needed, for non-native speakers to enroll in universities in China or to obtain a career.

I ran a search for HSK and couldn't find an official site. I did find HSK sites in many different languages and it seems to me like each of these sites are setup by different universities around the world. I know my university, the University of Houston has their own HSK site.

There's an official HSK site, but it's frequently unavailable and never seems to be quite finished.

I wrote up a couple of pages on the HSK for my other (currently dead in the water) site. Head to the index page and there are links from there.

I think it's a pretty good exam and the materials are well-designed. It falls down in that there isn't any speaking assessment until advanced level, and even then it's not conversation, just speaking into a tape recorder, and that writing is similarly neglected. The testing of reading, listening and grammar and vocabulary are good though, I think.

I took the elementary/intermediate exam last December and came out with a 5 - low intermediate. My average should have given me a 6 (intermediate intermediate) but my score in the general secion was a 4, and they have a rule that your overall score cannot be more than one greater than your lowest - hence my 5.

The HSK is available worldwide. Check with Chinese embassies or Chinese departments of nearby universities, if there are any.

Roddy

HSK at elementary and intermediate level is a great test for grammar, vocab, reading and listening comp., however it does not test speaking at all.

So, even if you are an extremely good speaker but you are not too hot on reading, then you will score very low.

There should definitely be a speaking component in the lower levels of HSK.

I found a good place called "Chineseon.net" where I pay something aroung $40 a year for learning to write, speak, read etc and it prepares you for the HSK exam.

The site is not bad, but I also complement that with the books "Practical Chinese Reader". Also I look at the Rosettastone program and use the Pimsleur for conversation purposes and for practicing the "spoken aspect" of the language.

I believe that in learning a new language one must submerge oneself into it. Read a little bit of Chinese every day. Rent Chinese movies from your local Chinese grocery or oriental store. If possible download and setup your Yahoo messenger and try to talk to others in Chinese. If they hear you trying they will help. I believe in Yahoo messenger you could go to the "regional" chat rooms and you will find taiwan. Also use the "mirc" to communicate with others via writing. Download programs such as NJSTar, the chinese version and if possible obtain Wenlin for reading and translating. Every bit helps and it will keep you motivated to continue to study Chinese. Also decide whether you are interested in the simplified or traditional chinese. In my case I have studied about a year and a half of simplified chinese because the material I need to look at comes from Mainland China, the topic (Chinese Traditional Medicine) and what I need is written in simplified and not traditional chinese.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...