Chinese-Forums

Growing Up With Chinese - The Series

pprendeville

13 hours ago, Flickserve said:

At some point Mike’s mother joins in and the training of listening to an accent is of lower value as she is not a native mandarin speaker.

I used to think it was just the bad synchronisation of the audio/video but, whenever I watch those episodes, I swear that Mike's mother is not speaking any Mandarin at all but merely lip synching.  ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hokiness aside, this is a great resource. Really authentic language spoken at real life blinding speed from the Chinese actors. Mike speaks slowly but has good pronunciation. The host is enthusiastic and does a great job of going through everything, saying the sentences more slowly. Male and female voices, young and old. Minimal pinyin. Vocab and structures seem to be recycled. Xiao Ming's mom provides eye candy. The cartoon dialogs at the end are excellent and give you something to work on that the host doesn't explain. The level is perfect for me. I'm up to episode 15 and will do an episode a day until finished. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...