Chinese-Forums

香港科技大学/Hong Kong University Of Science and Tech. If I want to end up working in China?

Yezze

I haven been on in forever... I came back like a month ago for the first time in like a year. And I didn't post any replies after my quick translation question sorry! :-?

So I've gotten wait listed to 香港科技大学 as a transfer student. I currently study at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor. From the ratings, umich is a bit higher, but I don't really care since the difference isn't major.

My question is, if accepted, and if I went to HKUST over umich would that make easier for me to get a job in China in the future? What are you guys thoughts?

Thank you!

Does your China include Hong Kong?

My impression is that HKUST is a good university, and they think very highly of themselves. :D

PS - The last time I came across the name of your univ I was trying to figure out how to translate the Ann Arbor part of it's name. We decided to just add 校園 after Ann Arbor. :)

Are you ever planning to come back to the USA? Umich is not only one of the top Universities but has one of the largest alumni groups in the world. They're also really strong in China.

http://alumni.umich.edu/get-active/clubs-and-affiliates/chinese-alumni-relations-program

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine: Definitely stay with umich and do a study abroad program with a Chinese University. When you graduate you can use both University's career centers and have access to both alumni groups to help you find a job in China. Here's a video from someone at umich who did a study abroad program with HKUST. Seems like a great plan to me.

• Like 1

Go Blue!

While it's difficult for me to not suggest UM since my parents went there, if you are considering international / global positions later, I would think that HKUST would provide you a more global experience, or at least a more Chinese experience, than anywhere in the mid-west. The skills one needs for a successful career go way beyond the facts one learns in the classroom, and I think your experience interacting with the other students there would do you well.

We decided to just add 校園 after Ann Arbor

Not 大學?

Thanks for the input guys. The study abroad is something that I have also strongly considered.

And I've always heard it called just 密歇根大学, but I've never though about the ann arbor part. Maybe something like 密歇根大学-Ann Arbor

校园?

What's your major, and what year are you in school?

computer science and freshmen

Yes, that was what we used, but without the dash. Some people use 分校,but it did not seem right.

Makes sense. I guess if someone wanted to get super technical its the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, could be something like 密歇根大学在AnnArbor but I don't think anyone would get that technical?

I suspect that there is more going on than just wanting to find a job in China. If that is the only reason, I suggest you do the following:

1. Talk to umich alumni currently working in China and ask them what they think.

2. Talk to HKUST alumni and ask them if given the same situation as you, would they transfer out of umich?

3. Talk to recruiters in China.

You might even try contacting the Provost at HKUST who got his MS and PhD from umich.

http://www.ust.hk/eng/news/press_20100419-758.html

US degrees are highly valued in China, especially ones from top Universities. When I looked for jobs in China, my US degrees opened doors for me big time.

Now, if for some reason you are not enjoying your experience at umich, that's a different story. I do believe one should go to a school where they will enjoy their experience. Is the social life and harsh winters getting to you? If you feel HKUST will make your college life more enjoyable then that's certainly a good reason to transfer. Who wouldn't want to spend winters at HKUST instead of the Midwest?

• Like 1

@jkhsu Thanks for your suggestions. I've e-mailed a few people and gotten a few responses back. In regards to the UMich experience, I have nothing to complain about here. The winters don't bug me and the social aspect is fine.

If accepted, I'd say its honestly 30% HKUST, 70% stay at UMich at best, right now