Chinese-Forums

Best hostels in Beijing?

Igor Antunov

I'm coming back to China in june/july with friend (just 2 of us) and I want to know what the ideal hostel is for under $30/night?

In december of 2011 when I was on a tour, we used 9 dragons hostel (xinmao) and it was okay. Very cheap, good location, etc. But dirty, the bathroom sucked, and the hutong smelled like poo.

Maybe there is something better that isn't far from beijing center?

I like the City Central Hostel. It doesn't have the same atmosphere as a hutong hostel, but it has a great location (directly opposite the main Beijing Railway Station) making it easy for metro, airport shuttle bus, or train journeys to other cities. It's also really easy to direct taxi drivers to (everyone knows where the main station is).

Prices are quite reasonable at 60 RMB a bed in a 4 bed dorm room (with shared bathroom facilities), or 150 RMB for a double room (shared bathroom facilities).

For charm rather than convenience, hands down the Red Lantern House. Great owners and staff, clean and modern facilities, nice cafe to hang out with fellow travellers, and lovely authentic surroundings. Also just a five-minute walk from 后海, and close to a subway station so you can easily get to 天安门广场 and all that. But really - if you stay here, you'll just spend the entire day wandering around in the 胡同s surrounding the hostel, at least I did ;) There's also a great Sichuanese restaurant in the same alley, by the way...if you go, try their 干煸四季豆. It's heavenly.

Just writing this post makes me want to go back ;)

• Like 2

Red Lanern House seems nice, but $120 more expensive than 9 dragons.

I'm looking for twin bed rooms with private bath.

By far the best hostel I've ever seen in china was city central youth hostel in shanghai, super cheap, free breakfast, and amazing rooms/private bathooms. It wasn't in the best location but one could get anywhere by subway.

I stay at the Sanlitun youth hostel when I go to Beijing. If you are into nightlife it's the hostel for you. Located in central Beijing close to the foreigner area, bar area, and central business district. It is close to a subway stop. The hostel is clean, has good bathrooms, and helpful staff. Also have a free dumpling night and a free hotpot night one night a week. There's always people partying in the living room/bar area so if you like to meet other travellers it's a good place to do so.

I highly recommend Happy Dragon Youth Hostel, conveniently located next to 美术馆 andat a few minutes' walk from Dongsi subway station. A twin bedroom with a private bath is 130 RMB (including breakfast), the staff are amazingly friendly and helpful and, as in the one WestTexas mentioned, they have a free DIY dumpling night every Friday. I've stayed there on 4 separate occasions and have never had any complaints.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I second the Central Hostel recommendation. I'm here right now, have been for the last three days. Right near the subway in a good location, clean, simple rooms, and the club area is good for meeting some fellow travelers. They've got a funky breakfast buffet, with fried rice, eggs, coffee, root vegetables. Waking up in a city where you know absolutely nothing, having a relatively healthy and simple meal available is comforting. The internet could be faster and the beds a little softer, but other than that I have no gripes whatsoever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I like the City Central Hostel. It doesn't have the same atmosphere as a hutong hostel, but it has a great location (directly opposite the main Beijing Railway Station) making it easy for metro, airport shuttle bus, or train journeys to other cities. It's also really easy to direct taxi drivers to (everyone knows where the main station is).

Prices are quite reasonable at 60 RMB a bed in a 4 bed dorm room (with shared bathroom facilities), or 150 RMB for a double room (shared bathroom facilities).

mapbig.jpg Nice..
For charm rather than convenience, hands down the Red Lantern House.
address_new_yard.jpg Hmm, beautiful!

But, what's inconvenient about it? It's fairly close to central Beijing. Says you need to book a minimum of 2 nights (~$10-$15 USD per night), though.

Red Lanern House seems nice, but $120 more expensive than 9 dragons.
Some of the reviews for 9 Dragons House complained about dirtiness though.. :-?
I stay at the Sanlitun youth hostel when I go to Beijing. If you are into nightlife it's the hostel for you. Located in central Beijing close to the foreigner area, bar area, and central business district. It is close to a subway stop. The hostel is clean, has good bathrooms, and helpful staff.
Sanlitun Youth Hostel (Wangfujing Hostel) sounds good, just a bit pricier..
I highly recommend Happy Dragon Youth Hostel, conveniently located next to 美术馆 andat a few minutes' walk from Dongsi subway station. A twin bedroom with a private bath is 130 RMB (including breakfast), the staff are amazingly friendly and helpful
Also a bit pricier, but the rooms do look really clean!

towin.jpgdorm.gif

I stayed at the Beijing Forbidden City Hostel for two weeks two years ago. It's from a walking distance to Tian An Men, Forbidden City and WangFuJing shopping street. About 10 minutes walk to a metro station.
$8-$27/night. Small hostel, but the main draw appears to be its prime, central location...

What's the best way to get to any of these from the PEK airport, btw? Is there a regular airport shuttle, or what??

I second the Happy Dragon Youth Hostel recommendation. As Don Horhe says, very close to the subway, not far from the airport express, close to Meishuguan, Wangfujing and some restaurants. Weekly dumpling night and a nice restaurant/bar. Didn't do any partying when I was there but also wasn't bothered by any noise from people who may have. It's located in a sort of large courtyard with a real Chinese gate, with some hutongs near it.

I second the Happy Dragon Youth Hostel recommendation.

I see their Chinese name is 龍福客栈. As a 武林外传 fan, that's almost enough to make me want to stay there* :D

*and before you mention it, yes I know it's 同福客栈 in the show, but it's a one character difference and 龍 has the same final as 同, so I like the play on the name.

• 1 month later...