Chinese-Forums

Finding work in China w/o knowing Chinese

jkhsu

Much has been said by jkhsu and others that I agree with, but judging from my company, our network and many foreigners know in Beijing I would say the following: 

• Expats with good jobs don't speak Chinese (both young and old)
  • Expats that speak Chinese don't have good jobs (young and old)

When I say that expats I know who speak good Chinese don't have good jobs I mean that they are in the normal 15-20k range for qualified positions at either local or international companies. They have achieved that through considerable perseverance, a good local network and many, many years in China. I know a few guys that are in the 20-25k range but they are by no means average and have worked extremely hard to achieve that. 

By contrast the expats (I use a very loose definition of the term) with good jobs and without Chinese skill have all been sent to China by their company. It is not true at all that only high-flyers and executives are being sent to China and that Chinese young professionals have all but replaced the need for younger foreign staff.

Go to any internations event, the majority of expats are in the 25-40 age range, few of them with more than passable Chinese. It seems to be easier for Europeans to get sent to China than it is for Americans from my observation. But if I had to advise someone on how to live and work in China I would tell them to get a job with an international company in your home country, and negotiate a contract with the clear intention to be sent to China within 1-2 years. 

I also don't agree that it's just engineers that get sent to China, off the top of my head I know lawyers, managers in all industries, engineers, people working with embassies, NGOs, institutions, trade organisations and so on. 

• Like 3

Great post Simon, gets a recommendation. I don't work for a company with operations or ambitions in that part of the world so unfortunately the "getting sent" route is not currently an option, and unfortunately it is also highly unlikely over a 1-2 year time horizon. So I will have to send myself :)