Chinese-Forums

BACS / Huayu Scholarship

thechamp

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience applying for or being accepted onto the British Association of Chinese Studies/Taiwanese Ministry of Education Scholarships? In the states I think it's called the 'Huayu' scholarship.

I made my application a few weeks ago and the BACS people have passed it on to the Taiwanese Min of Ed.....

How competitive is it? When do people normally hear?

As far as I know, it's called the "Huayu Enrichment Scholarship" everywhere (it's the Taiwan MOE's term, not the States'). Maybe the BACS has a special arrangement with the MOE? Anyway, I applied for and won it last year, as did a good portion of my classmates here. It seems to be pretty easy to get. I believe I got my notification in mid-May.

Good luck!

Yeah the BACS 'administer the academic selection process', so most people in the UK would I think call it the BACS scholarship...although I've not met or talked to anyone who's got it/done it/even heard of it!

eg here it makes no mention of the 'Huayu' name:

http://www.bacsuk.org.uk/cmsAdmin/uploads/2012_BACS_notes_for_applicants_to_BACS-Taiwan_Schol.pdf

I'm a bit confused because I'm fairly sure it's the same thing as the huayu scholarship (it's administered on behalf of the MOE etc)

Do you mind if I ask are you working towards an academic career in Chinese? Or are you working towards a professional career that might require Chinese?

Yeah, that's the HES:

1. Applicants must complete both the the BACS cover sheet and the official ROC (Taiwan) Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship application form.

Anyway, yes, I'm working toward an academic career. I'm in my third term here now, and I'll be studying Chinese for another year here before starting grad school.