Chinese-Forums

PSC (普通話水平測試) vocabulary list

dwq

Thanks roddy.

As for my study experience, I took part-time courses from a local school. Group lessons of 10-15 people, 4 hours a week. They do not say it is specifically for the PSC but they do prepare you for it. I'm finished with courses for the moment, so I'm working on vocabulary using Anki.

The words are from the book 普通話水平測試實施綱要 . The list size is not a problem for me, since the simple words are soon scheduled out to a year or more in the future (i.e. disappear from the daily study) by Anki after answering correctly a few times, but it sure is frustrating to see that there're still 10,000+ entries left to study...

Yes, I'm a HKer.

My main problem with using the tables directly for flashcards is that there are multiple readings for the same word, but grouping by word is problematic as the result would be different if you do it via simplified or via traditional. In addition to the concern about the large number of entries is why I've still working on the format of my Anki deck (though the number of entries seems not to be a problem so far, as I said in the previous post).

One thing I'm not sure about the exam is whether they'll test you on character / words with multiple readings during the vocab section, but I'll study them anyway.

I thought about writing a program to generate mock exams, but the requirement is complicated (each paper is supposed to have the right mix of every consonant and vowel) that I haven't worked out how to go about doing it.

You seem to be taking it pretty seriously, is this a job requirement for you?

多音字 I imagine wouldn't come up in the single character readings, but certainly in the two-syllable words and the reading?

Not a job requirement, I just like to do things right :)

That's what I think about 多音字, but I am not 100% sure. Some of heifeng's mock exams have them in the single character readings section.

gato, I do know of the thread, but thanks for the reminder.

dwq, I would say that this list reflects the lower levels (beginner & intermediary) of the former HSK lists. Those lists,however, also give the English translation which is helpful for most students. You said that you were in the process of cleaning up a second list. Would you mind posting this Table 2 as well with the understanding that it still contains errors. Thanks!

He already has, you can click back and forth between the two tables on the spreadsheet.

Stupid me!

dwq, i won't mind to review part of your second list and will let you know of any corrections via a private message. When this review task becomes odious, i will let you know that i am quitting the review.

Some of heifeng's mock exams have them in the single character readings section.

Hi dwg, to help you out a bit, I do recall that the exam I took in Beijing had 多音字 but I do not recall if they had clarification in the parenthesis (as shown in some of the mock exams). HOWEVER, I clearly remember the lecturer during the prep session saying the following:

1. If the pronunciation is in the standard dictionary (active edition, not a superseded edition. More details & examples are in my write up on the pre test prep lecture here) then the pronunciation is acceptable.

2. HOWEVER if the character has a 'more common' pronunciation and no prompt is given as to which pronunciation the test is specifying then it is in your best interest to use the more common pronunciation just to avoid possible scoring errors. such as reading 作 as zuo4 vs zuo1 if it appears in section I.

Hope this is somewhat helpful :conf

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to register for the PSC if you are not enrolled in a course in China? (like say in China on a tourist visa?)

I looked at the Guangdong PSC and it seems to suggest that foreigners could only take the PSC through the university they are studying at. ("除在高等院校注册的港澳台学生和外国留学生可随所在学校学生接受测试外,不接受其它港澳台人士和外籍人士报名." http://www.gdspcb.org/spcb/Show_News_Info.aspx?fNewsType=61&fNewsID=90)

I am currently in Hong Kong but would like to go across the border to take the PSC in China if possible.

Don't know about Guangdong but you can take it in HK without being enrolled in a course. Just apply through the venue you plan to take the exam at. Here are a few, and you can check with other Universities near you to see if they administer the test too.

City University

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/lac/pth_centre/exam_app.htm

Chinese University Hong Kong

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/~pth/psc_info.php?check=3

Open University

http://www.ouhk.edu.hk/wcsprd/Satellite?c=C_EL&cid=191129012800&d=Touch〈=chi&pagename=OUHK%2FtcGenericPage2010

Hi dwq, Thanks very much for your reply :)

Do you know if they would let an English native speaker (and white guy) take this test in Hong Kong? I noticed on the application forms that you have to fill out 'native language' and then it gives you five options, all Chinese dialects, I know the test is targeted at Chinese/Cantonese native speakers, but I'm wondering whether or not they would disqualify me later if they find out my native language is English?

Are you talking about the Open University?  I think it is just an oversight that they ignored candidates whose native language is not one of the five they expect, but here is their contact info, you can call / email them and make sure.

http://www.ouhk.edu.hk/wcsprd/Satellite?pagename=OUHK/tcSchSing2014&c=C_EL&cid=191129012400〈=chi

Or you can check with City University whose form has an "other" option besides Cantonese and Mandarin.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, this thread has been around for a while. I actually forgot I replied to it earlier (as in 2012...). @Dwq did you ever sit for the exam?

I still think about this exam 10 years later! (I had to leave China before I had a chance to sit the 2nd time, otherwise 二级乙 would have been MINE!!! )

• Like 1