Chinese-Forums

Bringing Family to Study in China 2013

pprendeville

Roddy - sorry about that. Force of habit. Incidentally, does it make the thread harder to manage?

We're on Easter hols at the moment so I'll have to ask staff and students when I get back. Our lecturer is a bit puzzeled as to why I'm looking into it so early as I have asked him one or two things but I'd just like to be in the know.

icebear - I dont see what the problem is in asking real people who are in Beijing instead of Google. We've just had a 3rd child and I'm pretty busy so I though thi might be a useful timesaving way of obtaining info.

I dont see what the problem is in asking real people who are in Beijing instead of Google.

Is Beijing north or south of Shijiazhuang?

I don't mean to discourage you from posting in this forum, I just think some of the questions you're asking (reflexively) could be answered easily via Google in less that 5 seconds. It's also clear that no one here is interested in answering the type of questions I linked to in my last post... I'm just trying to offer some advice that will help you get the most out of this forum. It's a great resource, but it's not an encyclopedia.

• Like 1

Why not study at Hebei Normal University? It's in Shijiazhuang and costs around 12,000rmb for the year. Renting would be a lot cheaper and even though you have to pay tutition, you would be better of financially when factoring in the rental difference.

• Like 1

MUC? Is that 6500rmb per month or per semester?

Thats per month. And the prices might go up until you get there. In my opinion off-campus is much cheaper than on-campus accomodation for foreigners.

@yialianliu: his irish university is affiliated with those two universitys so he has to go to one of them if he wants his classes recognized (at least that's what I understood)

• Like 1

Icebear - I see your point. Sorry, I'd be happy to answer these questions of others asked. Sorry for coming across as lazy. I just like to get answers from people who've been there and done that. Like getting directions when I'm driving. I always stop, roll down the window and ask someone instead of maps and GPS. It's nice to communicate I find. Anyway, point noted and thanks for pointing it out.

Chinadude2006 - 12000 for the year. Gosh that's for nothing. I might chance saying it to the lecturer but I imagine he'd feel a bit annoyed with me making a suggestion like this, ie. could I study in a completely different college. Would probably put me lower down in his already low opinion of me. I think he has made contacts in the 2 aforementioned universities and also one in Taiwan so it's a choice of those 3 and he might start thinking I'm just being awkward. Might lead to the rest of the students making requests to study in their favoured destinations also.

Incidentally, does anyone want to explain why Project 985 / 211 is important for anyone studying a Chinese language course. I fail to see how the funding or improvements would filter through. Maybe if you're at a 师范 university.

It matters about who you attract. Harvard attracts better professors than a community college. Partially to do with better pay.

Even mroe important, look at the reason why they were created and you'll know. It is a bucket list of the BEST schools in China.

Better professors = better students from the local population. And in part also true from the international community who exchange there. There's a reason why Northeasten only exchanges with 211 Schools and better schools are even pickier.

• Like 1

I think it's a marginal factor at best. Chinese language courses are rarely taught (or run?) by professors and the CSL sections tend to be at arm's length from the rest of the university. It's also a pretty blunt instrument - there are what, 100 211 schools? You'd be better off just looking at their ranking, no? Although I still think that's a fairly inaccurate way of doing it.

There's a massive lack of information on the quality of the different Chinese language courses, but I don't think trying to fill that gap with information on their home institutions is that good a solution.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

I think it's a marginal factor at best. Chinese language courses are rarely taught (or run?) by professors and the CSL sections tend to be at arm's length from the rest of the university. It's also a pretty blunt instrument - there are what, 100 211 schools? You'd be better off just looking at their ranking, no? Although I still think that's a fairly inaccurate way of doing it.

The 100 schools in the 211 are the top 100 schools. Yes the ranking may vary within the list, but it's still the top 100 schools.

After 211, there's a major gap between the next bunch of provincial level school so that's why 211 matters because China does not have a smooth ranking system where each one is slightly better, there's a definite gap after 211.

The best teachers are going to teach at a better university. Tsinghua and PKU might be the same to them but they are not going to teach at a low ranking university outside of the top 100. So on average, you're going to get better teachers at better schools. Obviously there will be cases with people finding good teachers in a bad school but on average, they will not be as good.