Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua Masters in International Relations

AcidBurn

@Kike

So I got a meeting at my doctor for the physical exam on the 2nd of August. Hopefully I will make it on time.

@Dee09

So you are going to stay off campus as well it seems? I'm up for doing the registration together. Do you know when your flight arrives? I'm arriving around 09:50 AM at the airport. Oh yeah, it does feel good knowing that I'm not the only one who arrives after the registration date hahaha.

Hi all,

Just a quick message before I leave in 5 min!

I applied for the x visa like two weeks ago via a visa service. They phoned me last week saying I still needed some stuff, like a copy of my flight ticket, and the results for a HIV test.

Now this is the interesting part which I would like to warn all of you for, especially Hugecookie since we are both applying from the Netherlands. The lady on the phone told me I needed proof of accommodation throughout the entire period that I'll be staying in China. I've got a room at Tsinghua now, but I'm guessing it would be a little more tricky would I of wanted to stay off campus. Logically speaking, you'd look for a place AFTER you've arrived and not BEFORE, since you wouldn't know what you'd be renting. But the lady on the phone clearly said I needed proof of accommodation BEFORE leaving for China.

I don't know if this differs per visa service or embassy. Maybe the visa service (CIBT btw) is simply more careful with their applications. But this is just a warning that you might run into some trouble if you don't have a room yet.

Sorry if I'm adding to the stress, but I thought I might let you guys know while there's still time!

Goodluck and see you guys in a few weeks!!!

@ Horse

Hi there. let me try to answer your questions.

first, about the MIR program and the entry requirements. i suggest you to click this http://intlstudent.cic.tsinghua.edu.cn/EN/PIE/DIR.htm . you'll find out all you need to know about the application, including how.

second, regarding the scholarship. hmm, basically you have 2 options: apply directly through Chinese Embassy in your country, or through Tsinghua. I didn't know how the first way works, but i'll give you some clues about the second one. if you choose the Tsinghua way, you have to be admitted in the first place, then they'll give recommendation to get the scholarship (we're talking about the CGS, right?) and ask you to do the physical examination. the PE result has to be sent to Tsinghua by email due to the respective deadline set by Tsinghua (mine was March 20). the last thing to do are waiting and praying. frankly, those two things are the most excruciating part of the whole process.

good luck! :D

@ Kirsten

i just picked up my x visa today. no picture on the page but the great wall (was hoping my newly-taken photograph would appear, hehe).

i wasn't asked to fill in sort of accommodation related form out of 2 forms that had to be submitted. but well maybe you're right, different embassies have different treatments. :)

@ Richard

my arrival is scheduled around 6 am. when do you think we should go to the ISO? after lunch time, perhaps?

How's your progress in searching for apartment? the price is waaayy too high. hahaha. already got one in wudaokou, 10 minutes biking to School. but still struggling with the agent+landlord to cut the price a little bit. *finger-crossed*

just a quick out-of-topic question: do you guys already have basic knowledge of Mandarin ? I've been told we'll all have placement test for language class. I'm little worried cause I speak no mandarin at all. Just know 'ni hao', 'xie xie'... :D

Oh poopy I was hoping for some awesome looking visa too, but GREAT that you got one :D! Waiting for the visa is kinda scary too... relief for you!

As for Mandarin knowledge, not much. At one point I had memorized atleast 400 characters, but I haven't practiced in months so I think I might of forgotten most of them. I was hoping that it would all come back to me when in China.

But I don't think you have to worry... most of us will probably end up in the beginners class where we'll learn how to say 'ni hao/ni hao ma', LOL. Sounds like fun to me!

@ Richard

Hey, I'm afraid I won't be able to arrive on August 24. I've got criss-cross info regarding my flight. It's supposed to be August 23 (night) from Indonesia. but I'm still working to get my flight back. Lest I couldn't make it, would you still register on August 24? or pick some days later, maybe? hehe.

Hey guys,

I just found this thread of all of us going to Tsinghua this fall for MIR, I got so excited seeing you all talk. Sounds like everyone is going to be here later this month? I've been here since July 4th and I'm ready to start school already. It's cool to see everyone is from all over the world. I hope you all find apartments and have no problems with your visas! If you all need help from this side, we can chat here or find me on Facebook!

- Paul Willoughby

@Dee

Don't worry about your Chinese. I learned a bit a few years ago, but I'm really rusty at the moment and no where near the level of Kirsten at the moment.

Oh yeah, about the registration. Let's see how everything goes. I am arriving on the 24th and I think I'll register on the same day. Not entirely sure yet though.

@Kike

So I went to my doctor (huisarts) today and she couldn't helped me to fill in the entire form. I have to wait till my doctor gets back. I was helped by his assistent. My doctor will come back on the 10th of August. Hopefully the remaining stuff won't take so long, so I will be able to apply for the visa on time. At the least I did the bloodtest and lung x-ray though.

One last thing. I only booked my flight to get to China. Do you think they will cause an issue? The reason I did this, is because I am planning on going to Australia after I finished the master, but I'm not completely sure about it yet.

@ Paul

Great to find another classmate soon-to-be. :) thank God everything's going just fine, well still stuck with the flight schedule, but hey we'll meet very soon in the coming weeks. :D

@ Richard

good luck on your physical examination and visa application! now I need extra luck to get the August 24-arrival flight. *finger-crossed still*

Hi everyone! I just remembered that I posted in this...

Yeah, so I got the China Government Scholarship through the US Embassy in Washington, DC (I am American, after all). Took care of my X Visa earlier today, and everything's good to go - surprisingly, the Consulate-General in New York did not give me much difficulty with my place of residence...I was really worried since I don't actually have a dorm yet (apparently, they are going to reserve one for me).

For some reason, CSC did not get back to us American students until July 17. It is quite frustrating when they tell you that you'll find out in late June or early July and it takes them that long to handle it - apparently there was a university that did not approve its student until rather late, holding up the process for all of the scholarship applicants.

Also, I never received an admissions package from Ms. Zheng at all - it was really worrying me because I never got anything from her, until I called the FSAO and they told me that they didn't send admissions packages out at all, instead forwarding them to the US Embassy to be included with the Embassy's scholarship notification package. Frustrating, to say the least, but I'm glad it's done.

I arrive in Beijing on August 15...look forward to seeing you all there.

@horse

It's an English-taught program. From what I have heard, the CSC is trying to get more students from the UK and the US to study in China. I honestly believe that is why I was awarded a CSC Scholarship, for quite frankly, I'm not very bright nor accomplished, but I AM American! The scholarship process was long but not too difficult for me here in the US, but it could very well vary by country.

I don't know too much about PKU's MIR program, but I believe their programs (from what I have been able to find, anyway - their website is rather poorly designed) are largely taught in Chinese.

I was wondering if anyone ever studied something related to International Relations before. For me it will be completely new. I got a BA degree in Business Economics.

I'm trying to get a basic knowledge by studying an introduction book about IR.

See you all on the 24th!

Hugecookie, you do not need to study ahead of time unless you are very enthusiastic-- some people in the program will have an IR background, some will not. If it is like last year, there will be a course that has introductory readings for all the various schools of thought and aspects of IR which you can take.

I'm going into my second year of the IR program, I can answer some questions if you guys have any, but the introduction meeting you guys will be going to should cover pretty much any questions you do have, and that will be about a week after the initial registration where you get your ID cards, I believe. I only check this forum sporadically, but I'll try to check back over the next couple days. :)