Chinese-Forums

文言文 Reading Group in Taipei

OneEye

Maybe this should go in a different forum (Studying Chinese Outside of China?), but I wasn't sure.

I'm trying to assess if there's any interest in a 文言文 reading group in Taipei. I know there are some other people on this board who live in Taipei right now, so maybe some would be interested. I have a few people on board so far, and possibly as many as 6 or 8 if I'm being really optimistic. I'd like it to be as accessible as possible for people of any level, but I don't have any experience with these things so I don't really know how to go about that.

This is something I mentioned a few months ago on my blog, but never got any response back. In the past 2 weeks though I've had three different people mention that they'd be interested in such a group, so if anyone here is in Taipei and would like to join a group like this, speak up!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would be interested - as it happens, a few fellow students at the Mandarin Training Centre here at have just set up a study group, meeting on Wednesdays at 5pm. At the moment we are fiddling with Luo Binwang's denunciation of Wu Zetian. I'd certainly be interested in joining your group too, or arranging to join up, or whatever works best.

Geoff

Geoff,

The group I mentioned above never got together. However, this Wednesday at 5 I met up with you and two other guys, and we went to Cafe Bastille and read the first part of 《為徐敬業討武曌檄》 by 駱賓王. :P

I'm surprised you'd have time to join another group, as much 文言文 as you're taking this summer.

And Daan, are you still interested in joining?

Yep, but I'll only be in Taiwan for a month this summer, so don't count on my extended presence ;) Cafe Bastille is always a good place to go to though, and if we're reading Classical Chinese it'll be only better!

Ah ha! I had wondered whether you might be you. I'm not certain that I would have had time, but you have to seize these opportunities when they come up. Would it mske sense to post our fledgling vocab lists on here for criticism, do you think?

Daan,

Sounds great! Looking forward to it. Let me know when you get in town, we can go grab a beer at 45s or something.

Geoff,

Actually, I think we could start a thread here in the Classical Chinese sub-forum for each text we read. That was one of the things they talked about doing when they first opened this part of the board to begin with. I doubt we'll ever have anything on the scale of the Book of the Month, the Grand Comic Reading Project, or the Grand First Episode Project, but perhaps we can have the Modest 文言文 Reading Project. Maybe we can talk about that this Wednesday.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm going to bump this so that hopefully some of the recent arrivals to Taipei might see it. We're continuing the group this fall, and hopefully throughout the year. All levels are welcome, and it looks like we'll be having an extra session for beginners just before the main meeting. Send me a PM for more specifics!