Chinese-Forums

Better translations of internet slang

count_zero

I was looking at this blog post of internet slang

http://www.mychinesestudy.com/blog/2012/new-chinese-internet-word.html

But the translations weren't very good. Perhaps we could try to form a list with the best possible translations and examples. It's possible this has been done before so apologies if that's the case.

To get the ball rolling, if indeed is does roll.

10. nǐ你 dǒng懂 de的 It goes without saying that…

i would say the best translation of 你懂的 is in fact "You catch my drift". It can simply mean "I think you understand" or be used for insinuation such as "太阳不是早上唯一升起物体,你懂得" (The sun isn't the only thing that rises in the morning, if you know what I mean)

if you want to use 你懂的,you can say:我不喜欢他,你懂的。(i don't like him,你懂的)there are reasons why i don’t like him and we all know . so you don't need to tell others the reasons. you can use 你懂的 in many sentences. Actually,we seldom use 你懂的 as it goes without saying that...

i think

你懂的 is in fact "You catch my drift
is fine.

Ok, thanks!

Here's another one from that link.

4. bèi被 léi雷 dào倒 ( dào到 ) le了 in shock

This is a common one. It's worth knowing that it means 'knocked down by thunder' and that traditionally, Chinese people believed that wicked peopel were struck down by the God of Thunder. Lightening was considered a mirror that let the god see his victim.

• Like 1