Chinese-Forums

Antibiotics over the counter?

bickcam

Hi - sorry I seem to have a lot of questions these days does anyone know if you can buy antibiotics in the pharmacy's here or do I need to go to a doctor. My daughter have a throat infection and we've skyped the resident doctor in my family (step sister) and she has recommended amoxicillin.

Cheers I'll give them a try then, avoiding the hospitals because I'm pregnant and don't want exposure to too many bugs

An amusing aside: I've recently heard that if two pregnant women touch, or even look at one another, and their babies are opposite sexes, the babies will switch sexes!

Another good reason to avoid hospitals!

• Like 1

Do you have any kind of international or other insurance to see a doctor? I am not sure they'll give you anti-biotics without a prescription, but it's China so there's always that possibility. Have no idea how to translate amoxicillin, however, and not sure a pharmacy will know what that is without the translation (or transliteration)?

Amoxicillin 阿莫西林 is indeed available over the counter from pharmacies.

and we've skyped the resident doctor in my family (step sister) and she has recommended amoxicillin.

I do this to. Its always good to check what they prescribe you here, or do your own research beforehand and tell them what you want. I do this after I read the Wiki entry for a box of Nimesulide which was prescribed to me.

• Like 1

They gave me an over the counter antibiotic which I have researched and it is the generic broad spectrum kind that is appropriate for my daughter's illness. Pretty happy to have avoided the hospital.

@KDavid, Gold! I already have one of each so not too worried what sex this one is but still very interesting FACT....

and count_zero I heard they like you to stay in bed for over a month with no TV or books, no breeze, no salt which tempting as it is when my other 2 would have just turned 2 and 3 when this one is born it sounds like no fun!

Amoxicilin 阿莫西林 is indeed available over the counter from pharmacies.
They gave me an over the counter antibiotic which I have researched and it is the generic broad spectrum kind that is appropriate for my daughter's illness.

Did they in fact give you amoxicilin 阿莫西林 like you asked for? Amoxicillin is a generic broad spectrum antibiotic. It's very easy to find in China, so they had no need to substitute. If it was indeed amoxicillin, I would do three things at this point:

1. Check the strength of the capsules. They should be either 250 mg or 500 mg. (This should be on the box as 250 毫克 or 500 毫克)。

2. Check the expiration date of the capsules. This should be on the box as well. Format for Chinese dates is year first, then month, then day. For medications, the dates are sometimes run together into one long, mysterious number, such as 20130922. That would be September 22, 2013.

3. Follow your physician step-sister's advice about how to use them; how often and for how many days your daughter should take them. Chinese pharmacies often give incorrect advice regarding dosage.

• Like 2