Chinese-Forums

Mature student studying in China

Johnny20270

Hi all, I have just joined and my first post :)

Let me introduce myself. I am 38 and live in London and I have been seriously considering studying in China purely for a language & cultural experience. I have been to china twice now and really liked it. I do not have a family but have a long term partner who is open to the idea of me studying abroad for an extended period of time (actually she is a bit too keen, :D )

I have a very basic level of spoken Chinese, 400 words about through self learning and my impetus is to learn a basic level of Chinese first but also to experience life there. I can take a year sabbatical from my job and have the funds to support myself.

I guess my main concern is my age and stage in life I am passed the whole university life and would like to mix with people from late 20's up. But its really now or never. What's your initial thoughts and do you chaps think this is possible and an y guidance would be immense

In the meantime I will scour this forum for thoughts

Many thanks to all

John

• Like 1

Don't let age be a barrier. We've had numerous students 70yrs+. If you are going to join a university course consider places outside of Beijing/Shanghai where there are less distractions and likely not as many teenage students.

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply,

really? that is very interesting, yes I was considering places outside BJ/SH as you say but really have no clue as to where. I was thinking of a 6m to 9m placement, so if I could obtain a HSK Intermediate I would be more than happy,

Do any universities / districts stand out more than others for mature students or is it pretty similar?

Age is not a barrier, but you will encounter some small aggravations. I am way past university age myself and found it annoying that most (if not all) beginning textbooks spend lots of time giving you vocabulary for navigating dorms, school cafeterias, and classrooms instead of things more useful to one living independently. The beginning texts spend way too much time giving you vocabulary for discussing your test scores and your major with your 20 year old friends and so on. The textbook stories have to do with writing letters home to mom. The things I most wanted to know were very different from that.

I found it more rewarding to take one-to-one classes than to enroll in a class with a dozen other people, all of whom were much younger than myself. Not so much because of different learning styles, but just because of different personal interests.

You might search the forum for posts by Putonghua73. If I remember right, he was British and in his mid 30's. You might also have a look at posts by JenniferW who is a retired British lady who has studied Chinese a long time.

Welcome to this forum!

• Like 1

Consider that university classes might not be for you, and whether you would prefer to study at a private school instead. Nothing wrong either way, but if the whole social aspect of a university doesn't appeal to you, and you're rather just go to a class and have the rest of your life outside that, consider it.

I'm a tad older than you (I won't say by how much ;-) ), and I can't see myself going to a University now for classes. I am now self-motivated enough that I could find classes and study without the need for external motivation, and feel I could find housing and a life without it. On the flip side, however, I can't see myself when I was 20-ish having the motivation (and maybe even the initiative) to find a private school, find a place to live, have a social life outside a University.

I'm 33 years old and am also considering studying for 1 year at BLCU from September 2012. Age is probably the main thing that is putting me off.

I've only just joined this forum and will be searching for more info. It would be nice to know what the demographics of foreign Mandarin language students are, and if there are many mature students there.

It would be nice to know what the demographics of foreign Mandarin language students are, and if there are many mature students there.

Not too sure about University demographics, but where I am the average student would be late 20's, degree holder in a business or technical related field, either looking to get language skills to help transition into Chinese workplace, or someone that has worked in China for a period of time and wants to improve language skills for new position etc. I think at a university you are likely to find a younger crowd on average.

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

Yes I think the whole university life is long over for me unless their was people op similar age. ABCDEFG: good point I didn't think of the context of what you will learn. My impetus is too become self sufficient in daily like and travel around China independently

jbradfor: Did you do something similar, i.e. attend a private class in China

Vinny: why you choose BLCU, any particular reason,

As regards private schools, is there any one group that stands out more that others, Also, I wonder will they assist you in finding housing, get you started with bank accounts etc. I must admit I am feeling my way around in the dark here :)

Will read peoples profiles when I get access :)

• 2 months later...

#6 --

My impetus is too become self sufficient in daily like and travel around China independently

Those were my main initial goals as well. (Am pleased to report that I have pretty much achieved them.)

jbradfor: Did you do something similar, i.e. attend a private class in China

[Opps, didn't notice this.]

No, I did a standard study-abroad program at a University (in Taiwan). When I was 21. I meant were I to (seriously) continue my Chinese studies now, I would certainly NOT consider a university program.

from my short experience in china, i really don't see age being a problem at all. we are all here to do one thing, to study. i'm 23 and have a friend in his early 30s and another in his early 40s. you're kind of forced to make friends in this type of environment, it just happens, no matter how old you are. i really don't think you should worry about it :)

from my short experience in china, i really don't see age being a problem at all. we are all here to do one thing, to study. i'm 23 and have a friend in his early 30s and another in his early 40s. you're kind of forced to make friends in this type of environment, it just happens, no matter how old you are. i really don't think you should worry about it :)

Hey Thrice, out of curiosity, did your older friends stay in university dorms or elsewhere for accomodation?

Hey lads

sorry for the late reply, been in Canada for last couple of weeks. I am still thinking about china, did a bit more research, I think the private classes are the way to go for me. Most places seem to have people who can help you find an apartment etc I also joined up to QQ and got to know a few people. The native Chinese are very friendly and looks like finding a native friend or two won't be that hard. They appear to be keen in having a native English speaker to bounce their English off.

I am still 50/50 on going. To be honest the main thing that is holding me back is really the finances. As we all know, economy is rubbish so giving up a job for a personal endeavour is not really the most sensible option in the world, especially when you have a mortgage to pay etc.

Still its a life experience I guess

Anyway, I am trying to study every day but to be honest I am struggling. I have done about 500 hanzi, not much I know, but I seem to spend more time revising old material than learning new ones. Ideally I would like a bit of Chinese under my belt before I go as I really want to travel around the place and mix with the locals if possible.

Hi Johnny,

Nice to hear your update. I am in a similar situation, 33 years old, and will have to give up my job to study in China for a year. I have a mortgage too, although fortunately, I can rent out my apartment when I'm away and the rent will cover my mortgage repayments. However, living off savings for a year is worrying, and then one day when I come back from China and return to my home country, who knows how long it will take to find a job.

Like you, age is the other thing that worries me. I've looked at one-on-one and small group classes, but they seem very expensive, and a lot of schools do not provide the option to study for one year, which is what I am looking for. So I'm still considering the option of going to uni, but worried about staying in a dorm and being treated like a child. I looked at one university in Nanjing as the tuition fees and accomodation were very cheap, but the dorm facilities and rules are like being a teenager in a high school. Of course, not all of the dormitories are like this particular university, so I am still looking around. And of course, the idea of being in a class full of 20 year olds isn't very appealing to me, I would feel embarassed being the old guy.

Good luck with your decision. It is quite stressful and weighs a lot on the mind. On the other hand, my savings should be more than enough to cover my time in China, and I also worry about the opposite, that I will regret it if I do not take this opportunity and consequently be stuck in the mundane daily grind for the rest of my life.

hi Vinny, lol looks like we are on the same page. Also for me its a life experience so living in a dorm and being told what to do won't go down well with me either, :) Also the younger lads are great but when I was younger I remember thinking why do the older blokes not feel comfortable around the younger ones. But being older now I can see it from their perspective.

TBH the money is not really the issue, yeah I can rent out the apartment and cover myself. Its more that, half of me thinks its a dumb decision or I am on my way to a mid life crisis or something, the other half thinks, its now or never, so take the plunge.

If I do decide to go, I will take private lessons, try meet people on QQ or something to make friends or language exchange. I can't see myself hanging out in bars with mid 20's as I am just past all that. Also I want to be able to travel a bit so I don't want to be stuck in a university just studying Chinese and then returning to the UK. I also want to take the opportunity to visit Japan, Korean, North and south while I am there, hence private lessons with a week off every now and then would be ideal.

where are you from Vinny if I may ask?

Johnny, I think your plan sounds terrific! I don't see that as a mid life crisis, just a long holiday with some studying! If you can afford to do it, then good luck with it. At least you get to maintain your independence and your plan sounds very flexible. Have you thought about which city you want to be based in? Or would you be moving around?

For me, I prefer a classroom environment as I can be quite lazy and easily distracted. I find being in a classroom environment keeps me motivated and focused. I would have preferred small group classes as I heard these tend to attract older students. But the length of the courses I've seen are too short (usually up to 3 months, while I want to go to China for one year) and the price of accomodation is beyond my budget.

I am still in the process of deciding whether or not I will go to China to study. I still have another month to decide. I've looked at several universities and have narrowed it down to a few places now. I am hoping living in a single dorm room (rather than a double) will minimise the shock of losing my independence and I won't feel out of place in this kind of environment with young students.

BTW, I am from Australia.

Hi,

I can offer some information - also an older student - older then the op too.

I an say - for nanjing university at least, not only will you not be the only older student, you will likely not even be the oldest (however depending on the class you maybe).

As to dorms - I didn't like the idea of a room-mate and quickly just went on to having a room to myself (of course at added cost) - depending on where, you can find places at the same cost as the dorm (at the room-mate rate) or less, much less if you don't mind distance and or quality.

At nanjing university the classes are more then okay - no problems, younger students usually means many will not come to class, so making the class better in most cases. I can compare for private classes - if better or worse - but I do believe private classes won't easily get you a visa.

If you are prepared to take the time (and it's easy, not an effort) finding language partners and friends will prove no problem - however finding people close to your age range will prove difficult, as you are in a studying environment - the age of people you can easily know will be in the lower 20's area, however to my eyes, the Chinese are far more mature then their western counterparts, so relating (besides culture differences) will be not difficult. From another perspective, I have yet to find a Chinese person who feels that age is an issue for friendship. If you are both 33, you can try to make contact with masters students, they will be closer to your age - and tend to have more time, as long as not in the final year.

Finding older friends is a challenge - I try constantly, but with out an environment to meet them it is difficult (post university, marriage/jobs makes this hard) - I guess if you could find some sort of club with older members this would work.. but I've not heard of such yet. Older people tend to not speak English, or are more inclined to speak Chinese even if they do - so are useful for practise if you can find such friends.

Hope that helps. I'm still in nanjing, and should be for the remainder of the year.

Ps - Also from Australia.

Vinny / 文森

One of them has been in the dorms for nearly 2 years now and the other stayed with a chinese family for a bit but then found his own apartments. Thinking about it, there's a girl in my class that's around 32 and she's been staying with a chinese family for nearly a year now.

Thanks all,

For me, yes I will need my own apartment or share with someone, just couldn’t handle a dorm or family to be honest, left home at 18.

Choice of place to go is still undecided, I want a city that is more upmarket as I am prepare to pay a bit for living expense (5000 Yuan per month)

Are you definitely going Vinnie? it’s a tough (and expensive decision) at my age (38) to make to be honest, causing me sleepless nights!. I respect you chaps for taking the plunge! Well done. Actually I when I travelled to China last year solo, I must admit I found it tough. It was a great experience though. No human contact for 16 days except people trying to scam me lol

If I am honest, a move to china will only have a negative effect on my career, but hopefully a positive effect on my life. People tell me I am nuts for even considering it! As a matter of interest do many people here just do what I am looking to do, i.e. just simply broaden ones horizons, or do people move to China because of Job, heritage, degrees, career enhancement etc.

Thewamphyri, I see your similar age to me, what was your motivation for going?