Chinese-Forums

Teaching Chinese Music to Foreign Students

XiaoZhou

So, I might end up teaching a general "Introduction to China" or a "Modern China" class to some teenaged American students in Beijing, and as a survey class and a broad introduction I plan to touch on a lot of different things. One of the cultural things I am hoping to do is to introduce the students to some Chinese music. Despite historical importance, I am not planning to spend class time on older things like Hou Dejian music or 茉莉花. I am hoping to provide these students with some more recent and contemporary sampling of Chinese rock, pop, rap, and modern folk. This is where I am stumped. I have some Chinese music, but mostly just pop that I got from friends back when I was a student, and I am not so into the Chinese music scene. Aside from Jay Chou (who is of undeniable cultural importance) what artists and what songs can I give to these students to introduce them to Chinese music?

As a related question, are there any great blog posts/books/articles about contemporary Chinese music?

You probably should include something about Deng Lijun. Also there'a a Chinese Song thread in here where we put in our favorite song we just heard or like to hear, maybe you can look in there for resources.