Chinese-Forums

Homestays and Work in Harbin

Mactuary

I wonder if homestay is an option here in 哈尔滨,it would be a better option that living with several Chinese teenagers in one room (as you said) and only public showers.

The personal trainers in that gym doesn't seem to get much work, or at least at the times I go anyway, which is the quietest period, they just sit there all day (or for the one hour that I'm there) talking with their mates. The guys in Sydney gyms like to pose and look at themselves in the locker room, but since in Box gym the only mirrors are outside I guess that's why they look at themselves after each set. I think it's ridiculous, even after a formidable set the muscles are not going to change instantly. I even see a fat guy wrestling with his own belly in front of the mirror as if the fat would disappear instantly.

I've heard of lot of my "white" friends just get requests to teach English somewhere, that's if they turn out to be from an English speaking country and not from Russia. But since I look Chinese, no one bothers me. I should just change my attitude and be proactive. ¥200/hour is great, how did you get that gig?

I think I'll consider serious work next year. Sydney just seems so lame at the moment, except for the weather of course, and its lack of pollution, but then again it's also lacking a lot of other things.

I got it through a mate who knew of someone needing 1on1 tutoring and had rich folks to back her. Lucky i guess in the way that i didn't have to do any searching.

Looking Asian, unfortunately, is going to hinder you a little, but you should still be able to find tutoring jobs given you hold an Australian passport, and (I'm assuming) are a native English speaker.

I personally don't like teaching, but you could give it a shot to see what you think. Alternatively, cash in hand work for Bars/Restaurants/all sorts of places is great for your speaking skills. If you have a degree, there are jobs/internships available through the Australian Chamber of Commerce as well as heaps of other foreign companies if you are willing to search.

Good luck with it.