Chinese-Forums

Comparing the HSK and JLPT

FinancialWar

I did the HSK level 2 this year and the JLPT N4 (Japanese language proficiency test) last December in Sydney, comparing the two exams, HSK is very unprofessional compared to JLPT.

Both tests are the second easiest level in their respective programs, however their is a world of difference is terms of content, difficulty and strictness.

location: the JLPT was done at University of New South Wales lecture hall, HSK was done in a office building room.

Number of Examiners: There was around 4 or 5 exam organisers for the JLPT N4 vs only 1 person looking after HSK level 2.

Seating: In JLPT, they stick your number on the table and you must sit accordingly vs In HSK you can sit anywhere you want.

Punctuality: JLPT stick strictly to the time schedule, we had to arrive 30min early, and was all seated was before the start of the exam. The exam started on the dot and finished on the dot, people can not arrive late or leave early. In HSK, we were left in the waiting room until the exam starting time, the examiner was no where to be seen until the then, the examiner further delayed the start of the exam because she was waiting for a candidate who did not turn up, so we started our exam after the schedule time.

ID check: ID check was done in JLPT, no ID check was done in HSK, they had photos of the candidates on a paper though.

Exam length: JLPT N4 had a total duration about 2 hours, HSK level 2 was less than 1.

Knowledge required: both levels are the second easiest in their respective programs, JLPT required 300 Chinese characters, 1500 vocab. HSK requires 350 Characters and 300 words.

Structure: JLPT was divided into three sections, listening, readingwith three different exam paper and three answer sheets, all colour coded. HSK had one exam paper and one answer sheet. JLPT N4 tested me on Vocab, grammar, reading, and listening, HSK tested me on listening and reading.

Content: JLPT felt like a real exam, it had everything tested, how to write the kanjis, what particles to use, short stories, grammar structures, vocabs, synonyms and antonyms. In HSK basically, all you have to do is matching the correct picture with sentences/speeches, there is nothing else, HSK does not make you feel like you just took an exam.

I think the HSK reflect the typical Chinese Government examination standard.

I find it hard to believe that you walked into an HSK exam and found out about the exam structure.

maybe you should have aimed a bit higher, like HSK3 or 4.

Also, the JLPT is a notoriously difficult test.

JLPT required ...1500 vocab. HSK requires ... 300 words.

Doesn't sound like they are at the same level.

Since you seem to be interested in looking behind the facade, you might want to check out the sage of the Old HSK vs. the New HSK. The HSK used to be harder.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/14357-hsk-the-renegade-exam/

HSK: The renegade exam?

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/28666-new-hsk-exam-levels/

new HSK exam levels