Chinese-Forums

Chinesepod

Manos

How did they screw this up so badly?

They had a great thing going with the audios between John and Jen(?), in my opinion.  Then if I remember correctly the company got sold, and the new owners decided to concentrate on videos with better production values.  But the new content was boring.  Since I had finished up most of the older content, I left with no interest in going back.  Most likely many others felt the same.

• Like 1

Chinesepod had some really good stuff back in the day.  But oh my God, they put this awful teahouse music in the background.  It was unwelcome and distracting, and SO stereotypical Chinese it was cringe city.  I complained about it, and was told that they didn't do the post production and to STFU if I didn't like it.  A shame, really.  Some of the grammar points were really well explained if you could tune out the loud music, which I couldn't.

One thing is for sure, whoever bought the company is doing a terrible job at keeping it alive.

The good thing about it is there are now plenty of independant Chinese teachers on Youtube. Back when Chinesepod was so dominant, they probably did not see the point of doing their own thing. It is a shame Fiona and her husband did not start their own channel. They had good chemistry. I guess they had a "non-competition clause" in their contract with Chinesepod...

To me the way Chinesepod should be is this teacher is doing it (https://www.youtube.com/c/DANLIAOFreeToLearn). Good content, good production, virtually 100% in Mandarin.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 2:00 AM, Jan Finster said:

One thing is for sure, whoever bought the company is doing a terrible job at keeping it alive.

I loved listening to the old ChinesePod stuff but now it just seems to be generic mass market stuff.

• Like 1